Houston Diving?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello there all of you Texans, I'm wondering if there are any promising (good or bad) diving in the Galvaston area?? A person really doesn't hear of anything from the Lone Star state about such things. My girlfriend an I are thinking of visiting Houston area sometime this year an are try to find a good place to get nice an wet. Any HELP:D would be much appreciated.Thanks Wet Ant

In a nut shell....there is no good diving in Galveston. :(

TexDiveguy is blunt but accurate. However, there is some diving nearby. Of course, in Texas, near by is a relative term.

Depending on when you are planning to visit, you can book a trip to the Flower Gardens on the Fling or the Spree. check out Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome!.

I don't know if any charters run rig trips out of Galveston or Freeport. Maybe one of the Houston locals can chime in on that.

You can also make a short (day trip) to Huntsville and dive Blue Lagoon. And lastly, Mammoth Lake should be opening soon. See the existing thread for more info on it.

Enjoy your visit.

There are several day charters to the rigs out of Freeport and maybe one out of Galveston but they don't run often this time of year. And they are pretty expensive compared to Socal and Florida, about $200 for a two tank trip. We find ways to get wet but I wouldn't come here to dive, other than the liveaboard trips to Flower Gardens. The offshore diving is a lot better and a little cheaper down in south Padre where the Texas Clipper was recently sunk. You can get charters as low as $125 and the Clipper runs about $175.

Boy sure sounds like it is alittle $$$$$ over there. Now the Flower Gardens that sounds like it could be some fun. Isn't it 70-100 miles out? What time of year is good to get wet over there?? Although you guy's have to contend with a little storm every now an then. The info that i have recieved has been a good step in the right direction Thanks. Wet Ant

Flower Gardens is about 100 miles out. It's typically done on 2 day trips where for instance you get on the boat at 8pm Friday night, cruise out while you sleep, and awaken early to hit the water. The first day is always a long day because you do (or can do) 5 dives including a night dive. All dives are a 2.5 hour surface interval. The second day you'll do two dives in the morning and head for port by noon. There are 3 and 4 day trips where the extra days are 4 dives per day. You get fed very well in between your dives. I think it's a lot better value than the rig day trips because of a lower cost per dive and it includes food and lodging.

Best time to go is subjective. Early spring is best to see hammerheads but blowouts are common. A few years ago 18 of the first 19 Spree trips got blown out. Mid to late summer is best for calm waters and high probability of going out, barring a tropical system in the gulf.

Thanks ReefHound you have filled in the blanks pretty good for me an will take the info to heart an am looking forward to the dives.

Back
Top Bottom