Houston Area PADI Deep Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With the current water levels, Mammoth Lake in Lake Jackson, Texas has the capability to certify PADI deep dives for Advanced Open Water Certification.

This is possible due the foresight on the part of Mike Cryer, owner of Hydrosports Scuba to install a huge diameter pipe vertically into the lake bed of Mammoth Lake. The pipe exends a few feet above the lake bed to prevent silting and descends down. There is plenty of room for an instructor to do timed tasks at depth for the PADI deep dive. However, due to the nature of this setup, it may be necessary to use a light to perform written timed tasks.

In my case, I performed the other four required dives for the AOW certification at Blue Lagoon. As with all other dive sites in the area, Blue Lagoon does not have sufficient depth to do the deep dive. I believe that this is a potential problem for many other OW divers interested in upgrading their certification. Prior to Mammoth Lake, divers either had to go travel out of the area (costly), go offshore to a rig (weather dependent and costly), or travel to Lake Travis (distant and few accommodations).

Depending on your location and schedule, Mammoth Lake may be closer and more convenient than any of these other alternatives for instructors. Individual divers needing a referral deep dive can do so through Hydrosports.

I have no other connection with Hydrosports other than being a satisfied customer.

Back
Top Bottom