Houston area dive locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crabdiver

Reaction score
Matthew and I are trying to learn as many locations as possbile to dive in the general Houston area. What's out there and how do you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10?

:copper:

You know about Twin Lakes (9 for now). So for the others, one a scale of 1-10.....

Lost Lake in Manvel - 0
Should have stayed lost. Barnyard.

The Reef off Cullen - 1
Nasty water causes rashes.

Blue Lagoon in Huntsville - 3
High alkaline water is toxic to most living creatures and it will eat the chrome off your gear.

Lake Travis - 8
If you consider 3-4 hr. drive local.

i agree with this. after I left Saturday I stopped by Reef for air fill. I have never been there before and was forced to listen to tirade by manager how dive industry in this city turned its back on him. not a way to get more business thats for sure. Its not an accident that no one goes there.

Which is also a rip off...luckily the air has been ok.I think that guy has been nibbling on that giant mushroom in the kiddy area again:D

This is some really great info. Send me more, send me more. Let's reach out a little farther and say within 3 or 4 hours of Houston.

Thanks Lots

Well, there's Smith Lake right outside of Beaumont. Viz isn't very good - ranged from 2 to 10 feet when I was there, but otherwise it seems to be a nice, clean little place with a couple of boats on the bottom and a couple of platforms, and there is no fishing / boating / swimming in the scuba part of the park.

There's diving at Aquarena springs if you take the scientific course. And Others have talked about San Marcos. Canyon Lake is around San Antonio. Other than that I don't know about.

Going north of Huntsville there's several places up around Dallas but they are in the 4-5 hr. range. I've been Athens Scuba Park but not the others....Clear Springs, Possum Kingdom, etc. Our northern brethren can help you out there.

Thanks for the GREAT links. We are already planning some weekend trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom