Housings and Slave Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossjc

Registered
Reaction score
From all the posts, I think I have decided on an oly compact. Now for some of the finer details.

I want to hook a strobe up and I have seen a 'slave strobe' mentioned. If the compact does not accept an external flash, will a 'slave strobe' still work? Can anyone recommend a good site where I can find this type of info out so I can quit bugging everyone with questions that have probably popped up umpteen million times. :10:

I appreciate everyone's help.

rossjc:
From all the posts, I think I have decided on an oly compact. Now for some of the finer details.

I want to hook a strobe up and I have seen a 'slave strobe' mentioned. If the compact does not accept an external flash, will a 'slave strobe' still work? Can anyone recommend a good site where I can find this type of info out so I can quit bugging everyone with questions that have probably popped up umpteen million times. :10:

Go to ikelite.com
They will have the answer.

rossjc:

But a slave needs a strobe to fire it that would be the built in strobe on your camera. The problem with this is your built in strobe is head on to your subject and on the same axis as your lens and this would result in back scatter.

rossjc:

Short answer is yes a slave strobe is what you need if the camera and/or housing does not have a connection for an external flash/strobe. What kind of strobe depends on whether your camera emits a 'pre-flash' or not. See here for a strobe comparator: http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php. If you are looking for a slave strobe look for 'optically triggered' or 'optically fired' strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom