Housing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I guess I'm just full of questions. Living in the USA I sometimes forget that this internet reaches all corners of the earth so now I reach out for some general info.

I already have a housing and camcorder, but the search for something better always goes on. I ran into a company that makes underwater video housings and they look interesting to me.

The housing is an Mangrove MVD-L1 made by Aditech. Is there any body out there with any experience with this model or Mangrove housings in general?

Barry

If you really live in USA in my opinion forget about it. It may be a very good housing but if there is no support for it in the USA and at the exchange rate of the US dollar to Euro is a waste of money. The MWB is optional and there is no WA lens included.
According to the website the model you've been asking for supports SONY HC7.
What other functions do you have to have?

I just want to see who uses one of thes things and what their thoughts are. I'm not concerned about support here in the USA as this point. I know that adding MWB is a $90 option and I already have a wide angle lens with bayonette mount that would fit it. For now it's just curiosity.

I just want to see who uses one of thes things and what their thoughts are. I'm not concerned about support here in the USA as this point. I know that adding MWB is a $90 option and I already have a wide angle lens with bayonette mount that would fit it. For now it's just curiosity.

I suggest to go to wetpixel.com forum where most of the members are from Europe and Australia and there is a post by Drew a veteran member that will post his first impressions on this housing some time at the end of this month.

Thanks Paul, I am a member on WetPixel, too. I just haven't delved that deeply yet. I did get an email from Aditech and there is a US dealer for that housing. Reef Photo Video in Florida. They are not strangers to me as they are who I bought my last housing from, a Seatool. Really a good crew that work there. I'll probably have to get me a dive trip down that way and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

A couple thing that interest me about the Mangrove is that it has MWB for the HC7 and a 3.5" external monitor in the rear. All the control buttons seem well placed, too. It's interesting but I want a hands on experience with one.

It is pretty sweet looking. Another similar design is the Silverfish.

Nice designs and pretty housings, but how do they access HC7 MWB ? So far, the only confirmed way I've seen it done is via a mechanical button on the touch screen.

Many housings are listing access to MWB because they control via lanc, but they are not aware Sony put MWB on the touch screen only on their latest consumer HDV cams.

Nice designs and pretty housings, but how do they access HC7 MWB ? So far, the only confirmed way I've seen it done is via a mechanical button on the touch screen.

Many housings are listing access to MWB because they control via lanc, but they are not aware Sony put MWB on the touch screen only on their latest consumer HDV cams.

That's why I would look at one up close and personal before I'd make any commitment. I'd put my camcorder in one and see how things work. Might seem like a long trip from Pa. to Fort Lauderdale to do just that, but I can always do some diving during the trip.

Steve, I wish they gave more detailed specs on the Silverfish, butI did notice that the monitor is 2.5". Gees,, I need numbers almost that big just to see what's on my dive puter. Gettin old ain't much fun in some respects.

If I looked and remember right the Mangrove can be had with a 5.5" external monitor. What's next, a 40" wide screen? LOL. You'd need a lift bag just to achieve neutral bouyancy with that.

That's why I would look at one up close and personal before I'd make any commitment. I'd put my camcorder in one and see how things work. Might seem like a long trip from Pa. to Fort Lauderdale to do just that, but I can always do some diving during the trip.

Good idea, as long as they have one in stock with the MWB option.

External monitors are great for framing, although I'm not a fan of the ones that are fixed onto the rear of the housing. They may be more streamlined, but a top mounted monitor that tilts and swivels is great to use when the subject is down in the reef or on the bottom.

That's what I thought too, but it appears that they've somehow figured it out. It's listed as an option on their specifications .pdf. I think there was a post on Wetpixel about it right some months back.

However it also states:
OPTIONAL: not compatible with Zoom speed +/-
if you add the optional MWB control. Not sure what that means. Maybe Ryan knows...

controls 11,12 & 15:

Back
Top Bottom