Housing Question Oly 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rad21

Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at the Ikelite website and they mention " Every camera function is accessible. Special "stay depressed when desired" controls simplify the difficulty of pushing buttons, especially two at a time, while trying to turn a dial and watch the monitor all at the same time." for the 5050 housing. Is this a real problem with the Oly PT 015 housing?

No....

The "NO" replies by Dee and AquaBob are correct in that there is no problem with the PT-015 housing, but anyone that has used the Ikelite housing with "stay depressed" controls appreciates the feature and will recommend.

Benefits of Ikelite is construction (debateable, but I'm willing to wager the housing can take a few harder hits than the Olympus one), strobe sync-cord ability, ease of seeing actual seal, stay-depressed buttons, greater depth rating, great customer support/service.

Sure, the Olympus is cheaper, and if money is a limiter, then that's where you look. And if money isn't a problem whatsoever, get a Tetra. Ikelite housings are a cross leading to something in between.

<---New Ikelite owner...

~Matt Segal

Segal3 pretty summed up the benefit of the Ikelite housing. Initially I used the PT-10 housing for my Oly4040 and got an Ikelite housing and love it. When I upgraded my camera to C5050, I stayed with Ikelite. There is nothing wrong with the PT-015 and there are plenty of users out there who are happy with it. One thing though, since the C5050 is being discontinued and no other camera is compatible with PT-015, in a wrong run it will be difficult to get it service. There have been some reports of leaking via the jog dial and bottons in the back with Oly housing after extended use. I am not sure what kind of support, repair you might be able to get say a year or two down the road. If anything should happen to Ikelite housing, at least you know that they will be there to help. Saying that, who knows, in 2-3 years, I might be with a new camera anyway so the life expectancy of the housing may or may not be an issue anyway.
Started to drool at Sony F828 but most likely external wet lens will not be an option so I just keep drooling until something better comes along :)

Oh no, I just did a search for the Sony F828 - :hthrob: :hthrob:

Think I'm in love!!!

I'm sure that by the time a housing appears for it, 8MP will probably be the norm(?)......the Carl Zeiss lens looks fab though

Back
Top Bottom