housing plug R190 question ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idive2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well for years I had been wanting to try the octo hose attached to the left side of
the octo instead of the right side so it would be oriented properly when facing a diver and
bringing the octo around from my right side. Anyhow, I reversed the hose on my R190 and everything
went well but when I put the housing plug on the opposite side it seemed to fit a little looser than
on the other side. I figured out the partial rotation to remove plug and then push in and rotate again
when installing. In the original side I felt an obvious point where it seemed to stop in the proper spot
but on the new side the plug seems to rotate a bit more freely. Kinda hard to see exactly what
keeps the plug where it should be ?

I know there is a pin that holds the front cover from rotating but this is actually a plug on the opposite
side of the housing from the hose that gives you the option to connect the hose from the other side. It may
be a slightly worn housing or plug. The plug itself has a small cut out area on it not sure what that's about.
It kind of rotates to line up to remove and then reinstalls and rotate again to hold in but something has to keep
it from rotating back to a position where it could come out.

Well. I saw your thread and had a 190 sitting next to me and wondered and now I know.

The plug has 2 little plastic protrusions on it. If you look at the plug from the side, you need to locate one of the plastic indentations used to turn the plug. Go in past the o-ring to the inner plastic ring that forms the o-ring gland. Just on the inside of that plastic ring is a small plastic protrusion. There is another one on the other side. In the case where the plug fits, there are the 4 straight edges in the circular opening. The outer surface of each of those edges has a small indentation in the plastic. When the plug is installed and turned, the two small protrusions engage two of the indentations. I can just feel them click into place on either side. You can feel it better if you press in a bit on the plug as you turn it. I guess the answer is there is not much holding it. But there should not be anything trying to turn that plug either.

Okay, I see the little protrusions on the plug. I have the parts from another reg that I had taken apart earlier.
I think the protrusions may be a bit worn. I may try the other plug and see if the protrusions are a little
more pronounced. Appreciate the explanation !

WHen you move the aspirator to the other side, be sure to move the grey plug to the other side of the aspirator body as well. It effects the venturi effect in the case.

WHen you move the aspirator to the other side, be sure to move the grey plug to the other side of the aspirator body as well. It effects the venturi effect in the case.

Yeah, I saw mention of that in a manual that I had downloaded. Was not sure what it was for but I did move it to
its' proper location when I moved it to the other side, thanks !

Back
Top Bottom