Housing for G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the G9 and OEM UW housing back in May. I have been very happy with the quality of my pictures vs only $600 total investment.

Yes the lower right corner is darker when you are doing macro work, so I can see wanting a 3rd party housing and strobe(s) some day. But I have gotten very nice pictures of nudibranchs and close ups of fish faces that came out nicely with just the plastic flash defuser attached.

BiodiversityGuy's photos- powered by SmugMug to see pictures from the G9

I got the G9 and OEM UW housing back in May. I have been very happy with the quality of my pictures vs only $600 total investment.

Yes the lower right corner is darker when you are doing macro work, so I can see wanting a 3rd party housing and strobe(s) some day. But I have gotten very nice pictures of nudibranchs and close ups of fish faces that came out nicely with just the plastic flash defuser attached.

BiodiversityGuy's photos- powered by SmugMug to see pictures from the G9
Do you use the diffuser? It helps a lot vs. not using it, especially on closeups that require flash.

MA is this your first UW camera? If so Id definetly say get the canon housing. Its cheap and it works perfectly fine and you can access all the cameras controls with it. The Ikelite housing is what? The same price alone as the G9 with the Canon UW housing in total?
Thats a fair ammount of cash to have thrown out the window if you end up not staying with UW photography after a while. At the same time the canon housing is pocket change if you really end up taking uw photography "serious"

I'll be getting the Patima housing for my G9. Sleek, stylish, solid. The outlet I spoke to said the Canon housing isn't the best, and doesn't allow access to the wheel that allows you to modify manual settings.

..The outlet I spoke to said the Canon housing isn't the best, and doesn't allow access to the wheel that allows you to modify manual settings.
That is true, but you can accomplish the same by holding the shortcut button (top left of screen) while using the increase (Flash) and decrease (Macro) buttons near the wheel. This is a two handed process, so may not be ideal, however if you have an external flash you can use that to dial in exposure.

Last edited:
I'll be getting the Patima housing for my G9. Sleek, stylish, solid. The outlet I spoke to said the Canon housing isn't the best, and doesn't allow access to the wheel that allows you to modify manual settings.
I actually had to work out some confusion on the G7 and G9 housings when I was looking for a housing for my G7 as some said you could not access manual settings with the Canon original housing which is infact straight forward WRONG.
As frank_delargy explains you do access the manual settings with the shortcut button and the flash and macro buttons. A layout which looks to be the exact same as on both the Patima and the Ikelite housings as far as I can see from pictures..

I actually had to work out some confusion on the G7 and G9 housings when I was looking for a housing for my G7 as some said you could not access manual settings with the Canon original housing which is infact straight forward WRONG.
As frank_delargy explains you do access the manual settings with the shortcut button and the flash and macro buttons. A layout which looks to be the exact same as on both the Patima and the Ikelite housings as far as I can see from pictures..

Perhaps I misunderstood your last post, but let me assure you, the Patima Housing does not require the use of the shortcut to access the wheel, because it has a knob specifically designed to spin the wheel with.

Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom