Housing for Finepix S2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverstu

New
Reaction score
Hi. I just purchased a Fuji Finepix S2 and love it for topside photography. I would like to use the S2 to replace the Nikonos V I have been using for underwater photography for the past 10 years. I have never used a housing before, and am confused by the choices for the S2 (Aquatica, Subal, Ikelite). Where can I go for reviews and help with the choice? Thanks.

Well, this is not the Photo forum. This post will be moved to the appropriate forum.

I hope you'll come back here and Introduce yourself. Just clink the "Greet a new member" link below...

Diverstu:
Hi. I just purchased a Fuji Finepix S2 and love it for topside photography. I would like to use the S2 to replace the Nikonos V I have been using for underwater photography for the past 10 years. I have never used a housing before, and am confused by the choices for the S2 (Aquatica, Subal, Ikelite). Where can I go for reviews and help with the choice? Thanks.

Reviews can be had at places lik WetPixel.com and DigitalDiver.net for some of the housings. I have some pretty strong feelings about the S2 housing in market, so here goes:

Ikelite: Cheap, works well, little larger than most, reasonable features. Good cheaper end choice. They were first to market for the S2 so i had one. Sold it and moved up to an Aquatica. Some people like Ikelite because you can 'see' the o-rings through the clear plastic - I hated it - used to scare me silly. Some of the controls are 2-3 cogs intenrally which can cause trouble when cog teeth slip or when the camera is built sightly different to the camera the housing was modelled around (there are some S2's out there they are visably taller than other S2;s)

Aquatica: Fantastic housing - nicer than the Ike, but you pay for it. Excellent value for money. Dome ports are excellent for wide angle. I am really pleased with the durability and ease of use. Service can be a little slow, but certainly acceptable.

Subal: About the same quality as the Aquatica but a little more expensive. Much the same layout and features.

SeaCam: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and not worth the amount of extra cash you have to pay for them. Also there is a good chance of waiting several months to get delivery of the housing while others are readily available.

In the end - Aquatica is the best value in my mind. Subal if you have local support for the housing would also be my thinking.

I wish Nexus had made a housing for this camera. I loved my old N90s Nexus Housing - that thing was the best.

Lastly, if you do not own the 12-24mm DX lens you will want it (both topside and u/water). That lens is one of the best lenses I have have smacked on the front of a camera.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

M

Marriard:
Reviews can be had at places lik WetPixel.com and DigitalDiver.net for some of the housings. I have some pretty strong feelings about the S2 housing in market, so here goes:

Ikelite: Cheap, works well, little larger than most, reasonable features. Good cheaper end choice. They were first to market for the S2 so i had one. Sold it and moved up to an Aquatica. Some people like Ikelite because you can 'see' the o-rings through the clear plastic - I hated it - used to scare me silly. Some of the controls are 2-3 cogs intenrally which can cause trouble when cog teeth slip or when the camera is built sightly different to the camera the housing was modelled around (there are some S2's out there they are visably taller than other S2;s)

Aquatica: Fantastic housing - nicer than the Ike, but you pay for it. Excellent value for money. Dome ports are excellent for wide angle. I am really pleased with the durability and ease of use. Service can be a little slow, but certainly acceptable.

Subal: About the same quality as the Aquatica but a little more expensive. Much the same layout and features.

SeaCam: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and not worth the amount of extra cash you have to pay for them. Also there is a good chance of waiting several months to get delivery of the housing while others are readily available.

In the end - Aquatica is the best value in my mind. Subal if you have local support for the housing would also be my thinking.

I wish Nexus had made a housing for this camera. I loved my old N90s Nexus Housing - that thing was the best.

Lastly, if you do not own the 12-24mm DX lens you will want it (both topside and u/water). That lens is one of the best lenses I have have smacked on the front of a camera.

M

Thanks so much. That is extremely helpful.

Marriard:

M

One more question for you. I was considering buying the nikon 17-35mm lens, which is faster than the 12-24 DX but, obviously, not as wide angle. If you were to buy one of these lenses, which would you prefer for general underwater photography?

Great post Marriard

regarding the lens

12-24! dats da one to get

one more note! For wide angle get a 8" dome port. The 12-24 will NOT require a diopter. The 17-35 may need one. If so, image quality will suffer.

Ike housings are lower in priced and quite durable, but they do not support all lenses ( 70-180 macro, 200 macro, and other large doameter lenses )AND they do not have a 8" dome available! That is why I switched to Aquatica several years ago!

Diverstu:
One more question for you. I was considering buying the nikon 17-35mm lens, which is faster than the 12-24 DX but, obviously, not as wide angle. If you were to buy one of these lenses, which would you prefer for general underwater photography?

12-24mm without a doubt. If you think of it in 35mm terms, the 17-35mm at 17mm is the equivilent of a 26mm lens which is just not wide enough.

The 12-24mm lens at 12mm is the equivilent of an 18mm lens which is mostly wide enough.

M

the 17-35 is also very expensive with a relatively small zoom range too.

The 12-24 (and 10.5mm) rock!!

The D70's 18-70mm is also a wicked little lens to use UW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom