Housing failure question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

The correct answer is depends. The factor is how much pressure is inside the housing. The field answer is to fast. :)

Ed

I haven't flooded a housing so I can't say for sure. The floods I have seen have varied from a couple teaspoons of water to a full housing.

My girlfriend flooded her Sony MPK for the DSC5 during the New Year. There couldn't have been more than a teaspoon of water - we opened the camera and blew it out with compressed air but alas it was too late.... :(

One symptom was that it fogged up excessively on the boat. We thought we'd take it down and hope it clears. As soon as she put it in water it flooded. Wish we had just left it all fogged on the boat..... aargh.

The reason i as is, I was just curious if this could be a possibility to save the situation - if you took a large sealable plastic bag with you and you noticed in time that there was a small flood, you could put the housing in that seal it up and head up. put a small amout of air in just to cover the housign and let it out as you acend. Just a thought.

steve

Consider it a miracle if you could do that and save the camera. Like I said she just put it in the water and saw a tiny flood (if there's any such thing) and immediately handed it back to the boat. The people on the boat opened the housing immediately and took the camera out. But that was enough to kill it...

Look out for excessive fogging - that could be a symptom - at least for the Sony Marine Pack.

Sounds difficult. Put camera in bag. Get water out of bag. Vent air so bag doesn't explode as you ascend.

How about; tip camera down so water collects in the port. Do normal ascent with safety stop?

Always point your housing port down at the beginning of a dive to see if any water collects in the port. If it is a small leak, it will keep the water away from the electronics, maybe.

Hello,

Even better. maintain the upkeep on the housing and never flood the unit. :) game over, no more quarters :wink:

Ed

Apparently Flooding isn't the only thing that kills cameras, salt in the air can cause damage too.

I had an internal mode switch corrode and during annual servicing the Technician noticed it and told me it needed to be replaced. I rebutted that the camera had never flooded and performed flawlessly and I didn't see how this was possible.

He stated that when you are near the ocean the air is full of salt and when you open the camera to change film or change lenses then that salty air gets in and can slowly cause corrosion.
Sounded feasible, so I approved the repair bill.

What do you think - Is it BS?

In the same idea, if water gets in the housing and doesn't touch the camera, damage can still be done, albeit probably much slower.

Hello,

No it's NOT bs. Why do you see all the photographers using FRESH water to rince their gear in after every dive? Pro's that I hang out with are very strict on rince tank usage.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom