house reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are planning a first trip to Bonaire for next month. I'm interested in paying less for accommodations by staying at Dive Hut. This would mean no house reef. Having a house reef would make night dives more convenient, as we wouldn't have to drive to a dive site when we're already tired from the day, so that is the trade off. But convenience is expendable; safety is not. I'm wondering whether there are safety risks that would go with parking at a dive site at night. Would the rental truck be at greater risk while we're underwater than it would by day? Would we be at significant risk from crime when we come up from the water?

I was at Dive Hut back in 2012; things change, but in case it's of use -
Bonaire at Dive Hut 2012 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/432576-solo-diver-dive-hut.html

I do not recall reading of any additional risk concerns regarding rental trucks at shore dive sites. The same basic norms apply; doors unlocked, windows down unless it's raining, leave nothing of value in the truck, take the key with you.

Concern about violent crime (e.g.: getting mugged) while shore diving is also not something I recall reading of here, and it's not something I've worried about when I was there. Divers often don't carry much money shore diving (e.g.: maybe a couple of $20 bills in a waterproof pouch with their driver's license and truck key, maybe a credit card), a modest majority of divers tend to be male, most divers dive in pairs and so the odds of finding a good victim may not be the best (plus, between the mask and wetsuit, it's often hard to get a good look at somebody).

On the other hand, be sure you lock your room when you're out. We do see occasional posts about burglary, though it seems that's more an issue when not staying at a resort (which could be an artifact of the numbers staying at dive resorts vs. AirBnB, VRBO, etc...).

With "house reefs" does one have to be staying at that resort to use it? Should I assume that it's not ok to just jump in and dive some resorts or dive shop's house reef if we are not their customers?

It may vary; it's polite to ask at their dive shop. There's also the possibility of alternative access.

Bari Reef is the 'house reef' of Sand Dollar and Den Lamen. Dive Friends has a location basically where Sand Dollar and Den Lamen meet, and it's only for people staying there. But...just south of Den Lamen, there's a roundabout, and it includes a little road down near the water where you can find a place to park. Walk in and head north; you're diving Bari Reef.

With Dive Hut, you'll likely be using WannaDive for your dive operator. Last I heard, they also had locations at nearby Eden Beach Resort and a southern place called Windsock (note: Windsock the place you can stay, and Windsock the shore diving site with a big pier, are not the same thing or at the same place). I believe you should be able to use either of those (I have).

Eden Beach Resort's 'Eden's Rubble' site isn't much on coral. Years ago when I dove it, they had a small wreck, the Bakanal, but I don't know what it looks like now. At the far north end of the property, one could wade in and head north. I think that's the Front Porch dive site, and there's a towboat (I think) wreck deep (?90 feet or so?) near where you go in.

People staying at other places can dive The Cliff, even though you'd consider it the house reef for Hamlet Oasis, and Dive Friends has a location there. On the other hand, if you're not staying at Black Durgeon Inn, it's my understanding Small Wall is a boat dive (which I've done; looked like The Cliff, only bigger...despite the name).

Note: If you dive a house reef, and you're not using the dive shop that has a location there, it's polite not to use their facilities (e.g.: rinse tanks), I would think.

From Buddy Dive Resort, you can head north and dive Captain Don's house reef; if you're really good on air, you might make it up to part of The Cliff.

Hi @jomcclain

We have always stayed at Sand Dollar or Den Laman and have used the pier to access Bari Reef, reserved for guests at those two places.

As per @drrich2 there is parking just south of Den Laman used to access Bari Reef by visitors. Chogogo Resort is under construction just south of the parking area. I would imagine this is a relatively safe place to park for a night dive. The reef is an excellent dive, day or night

upload_2021-9-4_11-48-9.png

Check in with Buddy Dive. They let us use their dock at night. The resorts have ropes run down the reef which we tied LITTLE strobes on to mark the exit. Very easy.

Check in with Buddy Dive. They let us use their dock at night. The resorts have ropes run down the reef which we tied LITTLE strobes on to mark the exit. Very easy.

They let you use their house reef even though you were not their customers? They have no openings for the week I want to stay, so being a customer is not an option.

They let you use their house reef even though you were not their customers? They have no openings for the week I want to stay, so being a customer is not an option.

Yes, Buddy Dive is a popular night dive site, and divers come from elsewhere to dive there. Buddy's has no problem with it, but as pointed out above, it is polite to check in with the dive shop if they're open and let them know you're there.

Not to open a can of worms--and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong--but I recall being told by a local that Bonaire's shoreline is considered public property. Now, waterfront property owners may make it difficult for you to access it, and an owner of a dock, such as Buddy's, is not required to let you use their dock, but technically speaking, the shoreline is public access (I think).

Not to open a can of worms--and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong--but I recall being told by a local that Bonaire's shoreline is considered public property. Now, waterfront property owners may make it difficult for you to access it, and an owner of a dock, such as Buddy's, is not required to let you use their dock, but technically speaking, the shoreline is public access (I think).

However p*ss*ng off the locals by walking over their property in and out uninvited may reduce the "safety" of one's parked car.

Back
Top Bottom