House involved in a hit & run.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you had the house inspected yet? I hope that you photographed the damage ASAP.

As far as I know two things should be checked. First the foundation of the house (if there is any) and the structure of the walls that at least in Polish are called "carrying the weight walls" and I have no idea how are they called in English. These are walls that carry all the house's weight (not only the outside walls of the house but also internal ones). If any of these are damaged there may be a risk of the house falling down.
Mania

There is no visable damage. A couple small chips out of the bricks, outside. And paint from the car, on the bricks. Neither the bricks or the mortar are cracked.
No visible damage to the interior wall.
No visible damage to the cement basement wall. Which I am assuming is the foundation.

But whole house actually shook & I was at the opposited end of the house when it happened.

mania:
the structure of the walls that at least in Polish are called "carrying the weight walls" and I have no idea how are they called in English. These are walls that carry all the house's weight (not only the outside walls of the house but also internal ones).
Mania
In English they are called "bearing walls". (as in load-bearing)

Kat:
There is no visable damage. A couple small chips out of the bricks, outside. And paint from the car, on the bricks. Neither the bricks or the mortar are cracked.
No visible damage to the interior wall.
No visible damage to the cement basement wall. Which I am assuming is the foundation.

But whole house actually shook & I was at the opposited end of the house when it happened.

Kat, call and talk to a building inspector. Remember the phrase "hidden damage". I understand not wanting to make a big deal out of this BUT the other person failed to control their vehicle. YOUR property got damaged. They should pay for the inspection.

Imagine going to sell your home in 10 years and finding out then that there is damage and the buyer cancels their contract. Try getting paid for the damage then, won't happen. CYA!!!!!!!

Kat:
Nope - foundation - at least that's the way houses are build here - is the concrete basement layed under the actual basement. So we first dig a huge whole and put there quite a lot of concrete. On top of it stands the whole construction of the house. And as MikeC stressed - there are such things as hidded damages - the structure of the cement or briks can be damaged and you may not see it. So call the inspector and let him asses the effect the accident had.
Mania

Back
Top Bottom