House involved in a hit & run.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I'm at home the other day, when for no reason at all, my house jumps in front of a car.

Actually, it was election day & I'd just got home from voting. I hear this loud boom & my whole house shakes. I look out the back windows. Then looking out my front windows, I discover someone has driven their full size van into the front of my house.
I call 911 & tell them the story. Then I go outside to talk to the driver. She speaks mostly spanish so the conversation is difficult. But she is very sorry & upset. I go back in my house & a few minutes later cop cars, an ambulance & a rather large fire truck show up. The driver is gone. But she did tell me her brother lives across the street.
As far as damage goes, there are a couple of cracked bricks & that's all I can see. And the bushes were run down. The driver wants to give me some cash for the damages. I am concerned about unseen structural damage.
I don't want the neighbors to think I am taking advantage of the situation. But I do not want to take any money until I have someone check out my house.
I wish my next door neighbor would have been home, then she would have hit his car, instead of my house.(I hate the next door neighbors)

Darn neighbors are never around when ya need 'em. :)

Been a while since I ran into a house - with a vehicle anyway. :wink:
As long as the drywall on the inside of the house isn't disturbed by the impact site it should be fine.
(I used to be a carpenter & insurance inspector)

You're not taking advantage of the situation if you report the incident to your insurance carrier, as well as the driver's carrier, and arrange for an inspection to be carried out.

While I'm sure that Bob is probably right, it's better to be safe than sorry. Besides, there might be more to the driver's story. After all, hitting a house...?

BTW, you might be taking advantage of the situation if you claim whiplash or soft tissue injury from the impact....

hahahah, sorry.... cannot help but laughing
"my house jumps in front of a car. "

I hope your house is ok.... I think he should get some help, for this action might have been caused by some underlying emotional trauma, but otherwise I wish him a speedy recovery.

baltimoron:
hahahah, sorry.... cannot help but laughing
"my house jumps in front of a car. "

I hope your house is ok.... I think he should get some help, for this action might have been caused by some underlying emotional trauma, but otherwise I wish him a speedy recovery.
:lol:

this happened to some people down the street from me, unfortunately for them someone was hit by the car that came crashing through their front door. Have you ever seen the movie "dont be hatin'"?

And anyway, hitting a house? unless you live near a sharp turn or something that's a little weird, and i would definetly report it. And who cares what your neighbors think, you said you dont like them lol.

wow thats a really crazy story but, at least u and ur family are ok.ur smart forwanting to get ur house checked up on..it could hav caused interior problems.better safe then srry...and ur being safe so ..smart call

wow that sucks, hope your house is ok, i agree with baltimoron, and there are meds that can help him through this.

Northeastwrecks:
You're not taking advantage of the situation if you report the incident to your insurance carrier, as well as the driver's carrier,

You really think the driver has insurance??

TwoBit

The drivers story, to the police, was that the car was parked in her brothers driveway-running. Which is very steep. The cars transmission slipped out of park & the car rolled down their diveway, across the street, through my front yard & into my house. It's hard to believe because the car had to shoot a narrow gap between a fence & a large pine tree.
The driver has insurance, but it is a company I've never heard of. She has a court date & I will probably show up. I'm not looking to take advantage of her. But I want to make sure my house doesn't have any structural problems, that will cause me problems in the future. And I'd like my bushes replaced. (with lilac bushes:wink:)

Back
Top Bottom