Hotel Recommendations-Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone-looking for a hotel recommendation. Non-diving family is looking for a laid back getaway in the Riviera Maya, sit by the pool/beach, massage, "excuse me, may I have another margarita" type of place. They dont care if it is an AI, but they would like a nice place that isnt too expensive. I think that they would like the area south of PDC, but not in town. Thanks!

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Palace Riveria Maya a few years back and loved it. It is a very relaxing place but does not have a lot for kids. If you need activities for children you might check out some of the other Riu hotels in the area. They are AI and the food is fantastic. If you have non divers in the family they do daily discover classes in the pool that can be fun. This place is close enough to the cozumel ferry that I was able to walk to the dock with my gear to head over for a nice two tank boat trip. Have fun.

when we went to cozumel last year my son met and has an ongoing relationship with a resident of merida mexico. she wants us to come to the mainland this year around playa del carmen. just wonderin if the dive operations would take us to the same dive sites around coz. after all you can see the mainland from coz so it would't be too far. actually our dive master on coz came over from the mainland daily. anybody had any experience with diving from the mainland?

We've stayed multiple times at the Riu Yucatan (about 6 years ago). It's kind of the Holiday Inn class for resorts. Had a good time, but have experienced better service and rooms recently with other chains (Dreams and Beaches). We're going to a Dreams in Puerto Adventuras in a couple weeks.

Back to Playa....many good resorts that have plenty to do.....volleyball, drinking, beach soccer, drinking, laying around, drinking.:D

I had some friends stay at the Catalonia in Puerto Aventuras in November, and they liked it. It really surprised me, how inexpensive it was. It's right on the beach. In addition to the dolphin experience outfit, PA has some shops and restaurants, in case one wanted relief from AI food. And there are at least two dive ops based there.

i usually hit pdc for a few days on my home from coz. started going when it was a small fishing village frequented by euro-hippies. i like to stay right in the town. the town itself has moved north over the years. the more sourthern part near the ferry pier seems to cater more to americans while the area south of constitution seems to be more euro. you want to be near 5th av but not on it. being on it is too loud for this old fart who likes to be asleep by midnight which is just about when 5th really starts to rock. my go to hotel is luna blue. however, it is probably not for everyone. a throwback to playa's old days. the hosts are american expats and fun people who really want the guests to have a gr8 experience. good reviews on tripadvisor.

I've tried to do this many time and have to say that most of the AI's make being a lone diver difficult and expensive. Most of them won't let off-location dive shops pick you up, and so you have to slog out to the highway, take a cab into town or pay ridiculous prices to use the in-house dive ops.

The most success I've had was at Dreams Tulum, where they didn't hassle the local dive guide that picked me up, and I spent a week diving some really cool cenotes. Dreams didn't have an in-house dive op, and so that may have been the reason they were so lax. They also had the best kids club that I've ever seen.

The worst was this last month when I stayed at the Gran Occidental XCaret and stupidly decided to try out their in-house shop, Barracuda rather than cab it into PDC. They sucked, and made me jump though hoops to get a refund. They actually sub-contract their cenote dives and had "forgotten" to book the dives I'd paid for.

I have a lot of friends who rented condos in Puerto Aventuras and had a great time booking through the local dive shops/guides. I think the next time, I'll be pushing my family to try this option.

We go 2 or 3 times a year and either stay at The Royal (sans kids) in Playa or next door at the Gran Porto with kids. When you get tired of the resort, you are a stones throw from 5th Avenue.

We did a week at Catalonia in Puerto Aventuras in August of 2008 with a large group from Delaware. We had 2 or 3 non-divers with us and they all had a great time. Catalonia is an AI which is priced right, great food, plenty of adult beverages, nice beach and very few norte americanos. They offer a nightly bus excursion to PDC for your shopping needs. While there, the divers in the group went with Dive Adventuras which is only about 1/2 mile south of the resort and they picked us up every morning for our dives.

Back
Top Bottom