Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be visiting the Hotel Cozumel in March. Who is the dive operation out of your resort. I will be diving with both my children while I'm there and would like to discuss dive sites.

Thanks

I can not speak of Hotel Cozumel. I stayed at a neighboring resort. I saw many different dive ops at their pier.

There is a Cozumel site on SB, under Mexico. I would move this post there or contact Hotel Cozumel directly. If HC does not respond, maybe other divers can share some info.

I hope you have a great time at Coz, I did.

The Dive Op when I stayed there a few years ago was Dive Paradise
Dive Paradise, Cozumel MX
They did a good job when I was there with my daughter. Boats were a little crowded, but they broke up the divers into groups.

I've been to Cozumel three times, and stayed at the Hotel Cozumel all three times. The dive op out of the hotel is Dive Paradise, as previously stated. I dove with them on my trips, and found them to be great, they take very good care of their divers and are very safe. In fact, if anything, I found them too conservative...that's not a complaint. Between dives, there was always fruit, sandwiches, and water or soft drinks; the boat crew helped you in and out of the water, took care of your gear, and switched over your tanks...they couldn't seem to do enough for you.

The divemasters spent time before each dive going over the procedures, explaining what the dive profile was and what to expect, and getting a feel for the experience/comfort level of the group. They would choose dive sites based on the low end of the experience level, which I often found limited where I got to dive. Again, that's not really a complaint, since from what I saw there's no such thing as a bad dive in Cozumel; and I'd prefer to know they don't put people in over their heads (so to speak!). I just didn't get to some of the more advanced skill level locations as I'd have liked.

However, there's a way around that, too...if you have a group of (I believe) six to eight, you can book one of their small boats for your private group, and then they take you where you want to go. The added benefit is that you don't have to deal with the somewhat crowded larger boats, again as a previous reply mentioned. I will say, though, that the crowd can depend on when you are there...my first trip, we went on a couple of dives off of boats with the capacity for 16 divers, but there were only 3-6 of us, just because it wasn't a busy time.

One thing you will find about Cozumel, though, is that no matter where you dive, there will be a crowd...if not on your boat, then in the water. You will rarely go for a dive without meeting another group, and you'd have a hard time throwing a stone from your dive boat without a good chance of hitting another. It's a downside to the area, but it stems from the fact that the diving is so spectacular that it just draws divers like fish to bait.

I can't comment on the other dive operators, but I'd dive with Dive Paradise again without hesitation. If you do go with them, and you happen to dive with Nacho Diaz Martinez (one of their DMs) tell him Chris from PEI, Canada said "Hi". I don't know if he'd remember me, with the thousands of tourists he meets each year...and it's been three or four years since we've been there...but we dove with him a couple of years in a row, and the last time we were back I took a backpack down for his daughter, some other little presents for his kids, and had a poster made up of pictures I took diving with him the previous two years. If you do see him, let me know here if he remembers! You'd be lucky to get him, he was an amazing guide.

Final note on the Hotel Coz...great spot, clean and comfortable. The entertainment staff is phenomenal, they were the main reason we kept going back. The food, though, is just fair. Breakfast is good, lunch is ok, and dinner is just so-so. We'd always plan on eating out a few times just for a break in the routine, which is well worth it anyway. There are plenty of great little restaurants in San Miguel, and even if you're doing the all-inclusive, it's money well spent to try some of the real local food.

Hope you have a great time, and let us know how the trip went once you get back! I miss Coz!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom