hot dip zinc coating 4 steel cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had old tanks restored by metallizing. The tank is sand blasted and then flame sprayed with zinc. The metallized coating will last about 1/2 as long as hot dip and 10 times longer than any paint, including zinc paint, regardless of brand. This type coating is not damaged by ordinary scrapes and wear, including tumbling.

I just recently refurbished a couple of steel 72's. I used some stuff called ZRC cold galvanizing compound. To date they have held up great and seems to be some pretty durable stuff.

From what the company represenative told me it is approved for military use and were in the process of getting it approved for use on the golden gate bridge.

ZRC applied over a metallized finish works well. The metallized finish, under magnification, shows tiny porosities. The paint fills in the voids, improves the appearance and adds to longevity.

If I was looking in a phone book for a place that does metallizing, what would I look under?

I can't seem to find anybody in the yellow pages.

Peter

Galvanizing, machine shops, metal plating, metalizing, flame spray metalizing sare all possibilities. Of course the Orlando area isn't really a mecca for heavy industry so there may not be too much there.

For a local source the fastest would be to hit Thomas Register for the plating and metalizing shops in your area.

http://www.thomasregister.com/

FT

I appreciate the help and advice.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom