Hoses and pressures question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So after much reading here I am lengthing my regulators hose. I bought an OMS hose that is for LP aka low pressure. Well when I received the hose it said maximum psi 250. The original ScubaPro hose is rated to 400 psi. That is a big difference and has me worried that I would be putting an inferior hose in place. The OMS is also of a larger diameter, although that does not matter.

The question is...should I put the OMS hose on or find something with a higher rating? If so what brand of hose? Also from what I can find is the second stage pressure around 150 psi?

Thanks!
Peter

250 psi is more than sufficient.

Typical pressure in an LP hose is generally 100-150 psi, max.

Your second stage acts as a bleeder valve, so in the case of a first stage failure that allows the LP pressure to increase, the regulator will vent the air before the pressure in the LP hose gets any higher than that anyway.

Nearly all manufacturers use an intermediate pressure range of 120-145 psi and the second stage will freeflow and vent excess pressure long before 250 psi is reached.

Plus 250 psi is a service pressure and I would expect the burst pressure to be about 150% of that - about 375-400 psi.

Thanks for the replies. The hose is installed and will hopefully last for years to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom