hose set up??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon:
As dictated by the training I received, if you have a low or out of air situation you call the dive immediately as you no longer have an alternative air source and make a safe ascent.
DIR teaches the concept of "minimum gas". This is the point where you must call the dive and make for the surface, because you no longer have sufficient reserves to continue. Depending on where the failure occurs on an OW dive (and how your gas was planned to begin with), you may have some extra time to play with, which is where the option of swimming can be considered.

shadragon:
Today I have an HP steel tank with separate 40 cf Pony which certainly gives me a lot more gas and flexibility.
Actually, a pony bottle isn't really DIR. Cobb's Law applies - "if you think you need a pony bottle, then what you really need is doubles". The DIR approach to this situation is to plan and manage the gas appropriately. On an OW dive at recreational depths, your buddy is your backup, and there's not too much that can go wrong that will require any additional gas beyond what the two of you carry in your single tanks, provided you plan your gas reserves properly, and stick to the plan.

Using a pony as a bailout tends to introduce more problems than it solves, which is why we don't recommend it for DIR diving.

Leah,

Hose length is dependent upon regulator type & configuration and type of diving (e.g. single or doubles).

For the backup regulator on a single tank a hose length of 22 to 26 inches is the norm. On a single tank setup this hose will be shorter than a doubles setup which comes off of the left post. You will need to be able to rotate your head completely when using the reg while not having excess hose sticking out; I use a 24 inch for my single setup.

For the HP hose again 22 to 26 inches is the norm. On a single tank setup this hose will be longer than a doubles setup which comes off of the left post. I use a 26 inch for my single setup.

For the LP inflator a 22 inch should be good for both configurations; The object is to be able to use the inflator while controlling the inflator on your drysuit and/or breathing or inflating orally.

The drysuit inflator will be around 28 to 32 inches. Argon bottle to center of the chest.

I will not belabor the length of the primary other than to say make sure it is 7 ft.

Do not blindly accept a hose length. Think about it and try the size out if you can. The main thing is it needs to work for the intended purpose and maintain streamlining.

Leah, if you're anything like me, you're going to end up with a stable of hoses, until you find precisely what works best and is most comfortable.

The only thing I'll say for sure is that I can't see ANY good argument for the 5' instead of the 7' hose, IF you are diving with a harness. 5' works well for people in BCs because they don't have a good routing for a 7' hose, but in a harness, even if you don't have a can light, you can put a pocket or a knife or something on your right hip to restrain the hose, or even just pull the bight through your waist strap.

Hi Lynne,
So far, I have a

7' primary,
22" for back up reg bungied under my neck
26" Pressure gauge
to help with the hose routing for the 7' hose I have a Dive Rite thigh pocket

I am trying to avoid buying two of stuff until I have at least one of everything.

There is a DIR guy, Ben, coming up from Atlanta to dive with me and the rest of the folks I have coaxed into diving the hot hole in Lake Keowee on Feb 17. I think we have at least 7 for the trip and the boat can hold 16 people. The hot hole is the return cooling water from the power plant and it stays in the 60' to 70's all year long. It has some current too. Will be my first time in current. I am looking forward to it. It is supposed to be like an under water, water slide. After you take the ride out, you ride and eddy back in.

All,

Well I'm just back from a pool with the folks from my LDS. I used my new bp/w and new dir style regulator setup for the first time.

I read this thread (and others) before purchasing my new gear but still went ahead and purchased a 5' hose. I'm 6'5" when I stand up straight. The 5' is too small. My primary was being yanked on the whole evening.

If anyone is around my height and reads this thread please do not bother with the 5' hose. Look to the 7' right from the get go. I'm going to call around first thing in the AM and get someone to fedex me the 7 so I can dive with it on Saturday.

On a more positive note the long DSS plate I purchased was a serious delight compared the regular sized Halcyon I tried previously. I'm mostly torso rather than legs so Tobin's plate worked out perfectly.

I also could see where the 24" HP SPG hose could be a little too short. I do have a 26" in my dive bag but I think I can get over the shortness by learning how to unclip the gauage when I need to see it.

Fundies here I come... just not soon enough.

-Eric

I had to change my back up to a 24" hose from a 22". I found when I would use it, it pulled slightly to the right and didn't allow me enough room to turn my head to the left . It feels much better now. There is the standard for the set-ups but everyone is built a little different so go what feels most comfortable and especially what will work the best.

Happy Diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Hoses? Oh I GOT hoses! LOL!

With a single tank setup I think the choice of backplate, STA and tank play a big role in hose length. I'm using a FredT plate with a deep bend, a FredT STA that's also pretty deep, and an LP95 (8" diameter). All of this combined puts the valve pretty far away, and I ended up having to go with a 24" LP hose and a 26" SPG hose. A plate with a shallow bend (like a DSS plate) with no STA and a smaller diameter tank could easily require shorter hoses. (Don't tell Ben_ca I had the longer hoses on there :eyebrow: ).

I want to buy a halcyon spg with a 26inch hose but they only come with 24inch,the guy in the shop won't sell me one with a 26inch i have to buy that separately ????

I'm 6'1" and I use a 5 foot for single rig, works very well for me. The 7 foot with that config seemed awkward to me.

"Meanwhile, back onshore, the creatures were re-entering the water after a night of feasting..."

I need a 7' hose, anyone have a spare cheap? :wink:

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom