hose set up??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Getting ready to purchase my first reg. How long should each hose be?

Primary 7 feet
Secondary ?
Pressure?
Inflator?
Extra hose for tire inflator?
Extra hose with spray nozzel to dry my hair?
Extra hose with extra gauges?

Just kidding about the extra hoses. Seriously, I do wonder why some reg models have so many ports?

Thanks

So according to Halcyon the long hose should be 7' for doubles and 5' for a singles rig. I asked my LDS about the same thing the other day, and he insisted that a 5' hose for my single tank configuration would be way too short - it would strangle me and be quite uncomfortable. I'm 6'2" tall and weigh 176 pounds. Can anybody comment on this?

I use a 7ft hose with my single tank (I don't dive doubles). A 5ft hose is possible (it comes under your right arm), but I don't see the benefit. I believe GUE recommends a 7ft hose for all configs.

olmic:
So according to Halcyon the long hose should be 7' for doubles and 5' for a singles rig. I asked my LDS about the same thing the other day, and he insisted that a 5' hose for my single tank configuration would be way too short - it would strangle me and be quite uncomfortable. I'm 6'2" tall and weigh 176 pounds. Can anybody comment on this?

I use a 5' hose with a single tank and it's snug when I'm using it as a strangulation device. I added a fixxed elbow for jaw comfort and it's perfect. The elbow makes it more like a 5 1/2' hose.

Sorry, I just noticed this is in the DIR forum (although I don't think it should be) so ixnay on the elbow.

olmic:
For singles diving, anything in the 5 to 7 foot range should be acceptable. In fact, the GUE standards for the two intro-level rec courses (Rec Level 1 and Fundamentals) specify a 5 to 7 foot hose. It's not until you get into the higher level courses (and redundant regulators) that the 7 foot hose becomes a requirement.

I'm about your height and have always used a 7 foot hose on my DIR singles rig. Personally, I would never use anything shorter than that, but I know a lot of folks who have had great success with a 6 foot hose. I agree that 5 feet is probably too short, especially for someone your size.

leah:
Getting ready to purchase my first reg. How long should each hose be?

Primary 7 feet
Secondary ?
Pressure?
Inflator?
Extra hose for tire inflator?
Extra hose with spray nozzel to dry my hair?
Extra hose with extra gauges?

Just kidding about the extra hoses. Seriously, I do wonder why some reg models have so many ports?

Thanks

Hey Leah,
Not sure if you are diving singles or doubles so here goes.

Primary - 7ft
Back-up - 22"
SPG - 24" (some find the 24" too short for singles and go with a 26")
Inflator - Kind of depends on the corrugated hose length (mine is a 20")

evad:
24" is too short for me.
So then use 26". No one's going to take you out back behind the barn and shoot you for doing so.

SparticleBrane:
So then use 26". No one's going to take you out back behind the barn and shoot you for doing so.

That's a relief.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom