hose fittings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucebowker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have tried for a long time for find who makes and will sell hose fittings so hoses can be custom made.I do not wantt to order hoses made up already, I want to make them.

It seems this is a huge secret and these hose fittings come from some deep dark secret unknown source.:D

In asking around DEMA I was immediately told that there is liability at which time I asked how then do you make them? Insurance of course. And I replied if you have insurance why can't I?

The strange thing is anyone can make 6000 psi hoses for filling tanks, running HP air etc but to make a scuba regulator hose is unheard of and shocks anyone you ask. I have even had friends in the industry try to find out and came up with nothing.

I am very familar with crimping hoses and wonder if anyone knows where to get the fittings and a crimping machine. Another strange thing is that the hose is easily acquired, just not any fittings.

Bruce

I was going to recommend Trident as well.

I'm sure I could source those for you... what quantity?? Are you talking Hundreds, or thousands? And which fittings, HP, LP, 3/8, 1/2... And perhaps most important... why? Hoses are cheap enough why have the liability to save probaby less than a buck a hose. We don't bother do that at our volume, and we probably have 20,000 hoses a year leave our store.

Try an auto parts shop or fluid power supplier that makes up hydraulic fittings. If they don't have the exact items on hand they can send you down the right road.

Pete

pre-made hoses are relatively inexpensive, but they are limited to stock lenghts that are not usually ammenable to good technically oriented hose routing. For example, the shortest inflator hose stocked by LDS's (normally about 20") is ususally too long long to use on a BP/wing with a short corrogated inflator hose.

The fitting itself consists of a barbed insert on whatever end or connection you need that is inserted in the hose and a sleeve that is swaged over the hose and connector to hold the two together.

I have found that our local hardware store has the hose, sleeves and swaging tool needed to swage the sleeve onto the hose and they are fine with letting me use the tool in the store. Fittings I recycle off old leaking hoses that are tossed at the dive shop because they are readily available. The old sleeves comes off quickly using a pair of side cutters to cut along one side of the sleeve. You just want to take care in inspecting the fitting to ensure it is not worn, does not have stretched threads, or is otherwise unsuitable for continued use.

Your hardware store carries the chromed brass sleeve? If that is the case all I would need would be sleeves, hose and the tool. I can come up with the actual fittings as you said from old hoses. It is the hose that fails normally.

Replies to others who have suggestions/questions
Trident will not sell them.

I would be saving far far more than a buck a hose.

Hydraulic fittings are completely different than scuba fittings.

Why do I want these? So I can make hoses on demand. I live and work in the Caribbean. Shipping is a pain, expensive and can take forever. This would be far cheaper and I can make up a hose when needed.

How many pieces? Maybe 100/150 of each end on any scuba hose. I have had people say they could get these with no problem and all ran into a brick wall.

Bruce

Hey Bruce

I'm Fred (Dive Master) I too have look or have been on the hunt for what you are looking for, mainly LP fittings I surely though it wouldn’t be so hard to find. But just like you all I have found is a dead end. however the sleeves I have found wwwAmazonhosecom (serial 7323, they are brass plated but it doesn’t really matter it works the same and are salt fresh and chlorine prove, each sleeves runs about 0.22 dollars) and also the o-rings wwworingsusacom (010-011). The crimper was by far the easies so far Name Speedaire Model 6Z072 runs about $150.00 [when I purchase it] you just type in the model in Google and you'll get a picture and how to order.

The actual fittings however I have not came across yet. I heard of a company name Excess Scuba this was about two years ago when I started to do boat bottoms. (This is why I been trying to make my own hoses) but they wouldn't sell then to me because of insurance issues. I know of a company who has it but I have not yet found out all the information.
I hope this was of some help to you if you find the fittings before I do let me know and so would I if I do. What DA Aquamaster told you is what I myself have been doing.

P.S.

Amazonhose has fittings for scuba hoses but they would hock to a compressor not a first stage or second you would need to use pluming tape because these fittings don’t use o-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom