Hose Configuration For Singles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1989

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to get into DIR cause it just makes more sense to me. I am going to convert me reg assembly and was wondering on the hose lengths.

1. What length do everone use for the bungeed alternate? And how does it attach to the alternate.
2. Since I am just switching over I was going to start with a 5 ft hose. Do you route that like a 7 ft or not?

Sorry I am a DIR beginner and I'm shopping around for a BP/W but no one rents one to try it out.

divermike1989:
I want to get into DIR cause it just makes more since to me. I am going to convert me reg assembly and was wondering on the hose lengths.

1. What length do everone use for the bungeed alternate? And how does it attach to the alternate.
2. Since I am just switching over I was going to start with a 5 ft hose. Do you route that like a 7 ft or not?

Sorry I am a DIR beginner and I'm shopping around for a BP/W but no one rents one to try it out.

The backup reg hose is 22" long..I'm not sure what you mean by "how does it attach to the alternate"

Oh sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I typed. I meant to ask how do you attach it to the bungee, not the hose. I know that one.

The bungie goes around the mouthpiece and it dangles under your neck.

divermike1989:

1) I use 22" LP hose for backup on my singles and 24" on my doubles. I understood that 22" is the standard (might be wrong). We loop the bungies or surgical cords around the mouth piece.

2) When I started, I was thinking of starting with 5ft hose. But through some readings from this board, I simply went with the 7ft. For 5ft, you won't need to tug the hose as it will just route under your arm. With the 7ft hose I am using, I route the hose under a waist pouch (don't dive with a canister yet). Many just simply tug the hose into their waist strap.

Hope this helps.

Hey,
I'm not a DIR diver, but I am also beginning my transition, so here's what I have to say, take it or leave it.
The philosophy behind the 7ft hose is that it's long enough for you and your buddy to travel single file through confined spaces. It seems to me that if you were to get a 5ft hose the reciever would be swimming with their face in their buddies fins. A 7ft hose will be too unwieldy with anything but a bp/w as the way in which it is wrapped around your body requires a cannister light (or a knife or something if you don't have a can light being the cheap things that they are) to be mounted on the right waist strap. If I were you I'd wait until you have a bp/w before investing in a long hose.
Also, in regards to the bp/w, I know a lot of people who dive a bp/w single tank with a 50+lb wing, really though a 30lb wing should be adequate.
My $0.02

I switched to BP/W and 7 foot hose as soon as I finished my OW dives and have had no problems at all with either. I found that a 22" hose for the alternate was a little short, so I changed it to 24".

I started with a 5' hose, as I thought I wouldn't need longer as an OW diver. However, I soon found that the 5' hose came across my chest from under my right arm, and would get in the way of my backup hanging under my next. After verifying that my backup bungee wasn't too loose (making it dangle) I went with a 7' hose and couldn't be happier.

My GF tried the 5' hose, as she is smaller than I, but decided she had the same problem. I think she will want to try a 6', but I'll loan her my 7' and we'll see.

Just tuck the 7' hose into your wasteband (as if you are tucking in a shirt) and you can quickly pull it out when needed.

divermike1989:
I want to get into DIR cause it just makes more sense to me. I am going to convert me reg assembly and was wondering on the hose lengths.

Heres some good DIR websites that would with alot of your questions :

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

And here is the single hose link :

http://www.halcyon.net/acc/hoses.shtml

I just ordered the 5' for OW dives, and have a 7' also

My first time diving the 5' , feels alittle short, I may try the 6' after a few more dives with everything , before going back to the 7'

Seems to me your best bet since you are wanting to pursue DIR methods,that you seek out an instructor and sign up for formal DIR training,,he/she will be able to better address your needs and gear configuration. Reading DIR materials and looking into DIR web sites is always a plus in your learning curve. I don't dive 100% DIR but have incorp. some of those methods into my kit to address areas. Good luck!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom