hooking up 2nd stage to 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
On some of my gear, the second stage would work out better for me if screwed into another low pressure port on the 1st stage other than the PRIM port. Is it safe to use another low pressure port for the 2nd stage or not? The ports look the same, except the PRIM port has small hole inside on the flange.

Thanks

Dan

You could hook it up to any low pressure port but some 1st stages have designated ports for the primary second stage that prevents that port from being restricted if the other ports are also being used at the same time. I doubt you would notice much difference in performance if you swaped it.

Scott

First stages with primary ports or high flow ports for the primary second stage often use flow vanes, special porting or some other type of system to create a venturi effect to increase flow rate. The odds are though that swapping to another port will not be something you notice unless you are diving very deep and/or at a low tank pressure.

Assuming your octo is a good quality octo, you could test how well your primary works in another port easy enough. Just install it in another port and then install your octo in the primary port. If worst comes to worst at depth or when exerting yourself on the test dive and the primary does not deliver adequate air, you can then switch to the octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom