Hookah regulator problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreacher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a hull cleaner and under water mechanic. I started using a hookah in 2011. I built it myself using a Thomas 1020 compressor and basically copied a commercial available unit. . I had a scubapro 190 regulator laying around so I used it. it worked great until earlier this year. Lots of time on it. I looked around and ordered a xs scuba hookah regulator. Figured it was cheap so just give it a try. It works great until I start looking up under the boat and I get small shots of salt water. So I ordered a oceanic hookah regulator and same thing. First question is what regulators are commercial divers using for hookah setups? Maybe I have a problem somewhere else? Any feedback would be great

I'm a hull cleaner and under water mechanic. I started using a hookah in 2011. I built it myself using a Thomas 1020 compressor and basically copied a commercial available unit. . I had a scubapro 190 regulator laying around so I used it. it worked great until earlier this year. Lots of time on it. I looked around and ordered a xs scuba hookah regulator. Figured it was cheap so just give it a try. It works great until I start looking up under the boat and I get small shots of salt water. So I ordered a oceanic hookah regulator and same thing. First question is what regulators are commercial divers using for hookah setups? Maybe I have a problem somewhere else? Any feedback would be great
You don't have a hole in your favorite mouthpiece do you?

Thanks for the reply. No new mouth peace on all the regulators.

I'm a hull cleaner in south Florida, we use basic recreational second stages on long hoses with an al80 topside. The reg I'm currently using is a mares octo, it never sucks water and I'm upside down 90% of the time. I'll look to see if there's a model on it and get back to you.

It's a mares proton
IMG_3981.JPG

Maybe it has somthing to do with the amount of pressure your compressor makes and the pressure drop over the legth of hose .

I had to crank the pressure down for the xs scuba regulator because it was a low pressure regulator. It would free flow at anything above 75 psi. It was set that way. The oceanic works well at the lower pressure but it is set much higher. Next time I'm in the water I will crank it up to see if there is a difference. A scuba bottle is quite a bit higher pressure. Around 140 I think. Thank you for the suggestion!

regulator IP shouldn't impact that. What is likely happening is an issue with the exhaust diaphragm. If you really want to eliminate it, go to something like a Poseidon Cyklon, but you have to get the pressure up to about 165 to make them happy which will be an issue for the 1020. You won't have any breathing issues in any orientation though. You may also try looking for an Oceanic Omega which may behave a bit better at the lower IP's, but not sure how it will do at 100psi or if lighter springs are available for it

Do you think the regulators are faulty? The shop I bought them from is being really good. They sent me the oceanic to try because I was unhappy with the xs scuba model. I have a scubapro g 250 on my scuba setup. I am tempted to just put that on there. I am pretty much set at 100psi max. The setup I have is very mobil so it's tough to get more psi. Thank you for the reply.

Do you think the regulators are faulty? The shop I bought them from is being really good. They sent me the oceanic to try because I was unhappy with the xs scuba model. I have a scubapro g 250 on my scuba setup. I am tempted to just put that on there. I am pretty much set at 100psi max. The setup I have is very mobil so it's tough to get more psi. Thank you for the reply.

Your g250 isn't going to like 100psi unfortunately. It's designed for 135 or so and since it is a downstream regulator, the work of breathing is directly proportional to it's IP. You may want to try the Brownie's Third Lung regulator, it's only about $90, but has worked well for me when I've used that system.

Doing a little more digging I emailed Decca diving in southern ca. They said they can get a Kirby Morgan balanced adjustable regulator to fit my needs. Just going to be around 350$ Might pull the trigger next week if I don't find any other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom