Hooded Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lil_chure

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to Truk for a live aboard in November. I have a 3mm full wetsuit and I'm thinking of getting a hooded vest to wear later in the week or on night dives if I seem to be getting cold. Any specific recommendations? What thinkness is recommended, 1/2 microprene from Henderson, or a 3mm from Bare, something in between? Would the 1/2 microprene offer enough warmth, 3mm too much?

I understand everyone is different, but on past dive trips later in the week my body core seemed to chill earlier int the dive and I was hoping a vest would take care of that. I'd prefer not to get a new heavier full wetsuit.

Thanks

The thing is that I think getting cold is like pain....it's extremely difficult to chase and catch once it happens. You're better off layering early in the week to keep from getting cold later, rather than trying to warm up after your core temperature is down.

Personally, I'd do the 3mm hooded vest...but then again, once I realized I got cold after repetitive diving in 79 degree water, I went out and bought a 5mm full for our Nekton trip in December, so I may be biased. :wink:

I have a 3mm Pinnacle hooded vest with the Merino Wool lining that I wear under my Henderson 3mm suit when diving in colder water. (65 deg F - 75 deg F) that is great and keeps my core warm. It was about $100 from my LDS.

I wear a Henderson 3 mm under my full length 3 mm in the quarry around here...water gets as cold as 59 degrees...and I'm still comfortable.

lil_chure:
I'm heading to Truk for a live aboard in November. I have a 3mm full wetsuit and I'm thinking of getting a hooded vest to wear later in the week or on night dives if I seem to be getting cold. Any specific recommendations? What thinkness is recommended, 1/2 microprene from Henderson, or a 3mm from Bare, something in between? Would the 1/2 microprene offer enough warmth, 3mm too much?

I understand everyone is different, but on past dive trips later in the week my body core seemed to chill earlier int the dive and I was hoping a vest would take care of that. I'd prefer not to get a new heavier full wetsuit.

Thanks
I would go as thick as I could stand. You can always pull the hood back if you are too warm.

I really like the Scubapro hooded vest. The bottom few inches, and the sides are nylon panels, with the front and back (and hood) being 3mm neoprene (like an oversized bib). The nylon panels make it real easy to get on and off. I'm told by others who have compared this vest to a full-neoprene vest that they couldn't sense feeling any less warmth between the two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom