Hooded vest vs vest + hood...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sounds like an odd title? Well it shouldn't be hard to cast your opinion and that's why I'm asking...

I have a Merinio elatiprene 7mm jumpsuit and placed on order the Merino 7mm hooded vest. Okay so I'm crusing on Leisurepro and find the heated torso vest thats 3mm Merino and the hood separate Merino linned also at 7mm.

My hooded vest has all the trims of the vest + hood only that it covers you down to your belly button only. The heated torso is almost like a spring suit that you can use on some warmer dives and covers you down to your buttocks.

I will be diving in cold Monterey waters and want to have a good combo before use them in the ocean, as they will not exchange product. Is it worth exchanging it to cover my rump?

Those of you that have used this combo, can you chime in also users that have had the heated vest + hood as experience please tell us your experience.

There is a $60 price differences that being the heated vest + hood.

Thanks for your opinions....

mikeguerrero

I use several Bare vests and while it's not a direct comparison I can give some thoughts.

When I wear my Bare chicken vest (3mm down to the waist with 5mm hood) there are times when the groin becomes an apparent region of heat loss.

The 7mm hooded step-in shorty offers a lot more protection.

Going with the "heated vest" will be of benefit. It's too bad that you need to sacrifice hood integration to go that route. I happen to be a big fan of integrated hoods. A good face seal closes off the "head opening" much better than any wetsuit neck seal can. That being said I will say that I have never used a bibbed hood.

I would not put too much value in using the heated vest alone. For some divers in some conditions it will be useful but the larger arm openings will make it much less effective than an inexpensive shorty.

All things considered 10mm on your core (+ the Merino) is less than the more common 7+7 combinations. If it works for you the lesser weight requirement will be a delight.

Pete

Pete,

Are you saying that where I would get a stronger region of protection via down to my groin with the shorty, I'm at a loss with integrating the hood due to strong possibility of water entrance in the neck.

And if I go with the hooded vest that is integrated I lose the protection to the groin but I make up for it with minimal water entrance in the neck since it's intregrated and not a two piece.

Pete I appreciate you giving me some feedback as I am very happy with ME7 from Pinnacle and I just want to add to the jumpsuit to make it supreme for me.

I know I have not made my ocean dives and might be jumping the gun but I don't want to have to think, man I should've done the trade before I tried it out.

I can return the hooded vest free of shipping charges back to leisurepro that is why I like them and purchase the heated torso vest plus the hood.

Pete if you feel the trade off is better to keep my current setup I'll go that route. Remember that the ME7 has a new desgin at the neck for any integrated hood that being solo hood or the hooded vest.

Thanks,

MG

MG,

I'll make this real easy for you... For most divers eventually it is not about buying The right suit. For many of us it becomes a wardrobe. So take you best shot at it.

Your water is a little different than mine and you and your tolerance for cold are also uniquely you.

If I were to add 1 item to a full suit I would get the hooded vest you mention that alone will be a big enhancement by muting the back zipper leakage, closing off the neck opening and adding some insulation on your core. As a matter of fact I think a SB member from your area was diving with us here in Maine a few weeks ago with a very similar set-up.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom