Hooded vest vs over shorty + hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am due a trip in the Galapagos mid May with temperatures ranging between 18-24 C or 65-75 F and thermoclines

The general advice is to get a 7mm with a hood however I have very limited use of such a set up as I dive dry even in 20C water generally (they say drysuits are not a good idea in the Galapagos because current and surge)

So I have opted for a 5mm plus some other layers. I have Oneill Thermo X (Polartec P2) shirt and shorty and a thermocline hood (same polartec) I estimate that will work fine down to 21 C or 70F

I am looking for a solution for the 4 dives of the trip that will be below 20C or 68F.

I have thought about a hooded vest and an over shorty with separate hood

The advantage of the hooded vest is that I could reuse it with other suits and is cheaper and would give more mobility

The over shorty seems definitely a warmer option however I never dive in a shorty so on its own would be useless for me after this trip but surely it will be an easier fit

Any suggestions and pro cons to evaluate?

In the Uk we have current and sometimes a bit of surge - why would a drysuit be ok in the UK and not the Galapagos?
ie what is their reasoning ? Other than a little bit more drag I can't see what difference it would make.

I'd be tempted to take a drysuit with perhaps Arctics or Xerotherm equivalents as an undersuit.

My reasoning:

You are an experienced photographer and the diving may be primarily for photography so keeping a known kit config will allow you to spend more time concentrating on filming rather than devoting some time to adjusting to newer (exposure) kit not to mention the cost.

I have been debating that myself as I have a whites (scubapro) fusion she'll suit that i use regularly in warm water
The reasons given to me are:
Drag - you need to be pretty quick to go down
Surge - the suit could be problematic
Sharp rocks and urchins that could pierce the suit
What happens is the zip fails

I am use having a proper 5mm since a long time but deffo don't want a 7 as I will never use it

I might end up taking the whole lot!

Currently am trying a scubapro everflex with over vest and an oneill sector with hooded vest

In terms of buoyancy I know both combination will require similar weight of my dry suit with light undergarments

I'm still not convinced by their reasoning to be honest.

I'd put money on you being in more control than most there.
A lot of what ifs and it's a long way for sure so yeah I can see why packing a 5mm would make sense just in case.

Another reason why I could prefer a wet set up is because I dive with full foot apnea fins that are longer than normal fins with boots
This gives me an edge in the current that I can't have with a drysuit
I think I will end up buying the 5mm and doing some UK tests on the coast...

I believe water is even colder in November and at that point it would definitely be a dry suit as I can't bare a 7mm
But in the dry and transition season I have read plenty of reports of divers being fine with 5mm plus hooded vest
I do find difficult to don and doff my dry suit between dives if I had to keep it now definitely there won't be a discussion
However I justified a fourth element proteus and find it even more strenuous to get in and out so I dropped it
I am left with only two possible models to try if that goes to zero fit or comfort it will be dry suit
I am confident one of the wetsuits will definitely fit (oneill sector)

I have been checking temperature values for the last two years in the same period
It goes from 24/28 C (75/82 F) water air at best down to 21/23 C (70/74 F) in the coldest dives
The ideal scenario is to take a 5mm and a drysuit however this is a bit cumbersome as I dive wet with full foot fins so what I am heading towards is
5MM plus light hood for the warm sites
5MM plus 3mm hooded vest for the intermediatesites
5MM plus 3mm hooded vest and 2.5mm shorty over the wetsuit for the cold sites
Together with short and long sleeve thermals

Back
Top Bottom