Hood fitment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving since '82 and just this year I've started diving a hood. I initially rented one that was super thin because I needed the stretch to keep from gagging. It was weird with the ears being covered. I figured I could dive a "beenie" style and avoid the gagging, it worked. Well now my buddy has talked me into diving cold water. He has a dry suit and has no mercy for me.

I bought a bare 7mm for what I thought was a fair price on eBay from a dive shop in Washington state. I measured my neck and forehead. I'm a weird bird I guess. I used to be a body builder so my dimensions are sort of wonky. I have an 18" neck, but a 22.5 forehead so the XL won't work. I ended up getting a XXL which fits my neck, but not my head so well. I have some serious slack in the head area and look like a damn cone head. Coneheads-movie-01.jpg
I haven't had a chance to dive it, but I'm concerned about COLD water intrusion through the vents. My face appears to fit well with no "slack" on the seal around the face.
  • Should I just wear the beenie under the hood?
  • Will this defeat the whole purpose of the vent holes?
  • Should I buy some neoprene glue and "customize" the hood a little?
Thanks for reading.

Mitchell

Welome to the cone head familiy!!!

ModelTMarkerAnchorMorrrisburg 018_COMP_MINE.jpg

Even with all the extra space on top, it still keeps my head toasty. I am sure you could alter a bit, but I would try it out first. I don't have any water coming through the vents, if anything it is the air from exhaling that gets trapped inside and sometimes annoying. But a good ol swat to the top of your head takes care of that :)

If you can handle the xtra cost and it's important enough to you, mock one up that fits just the way you want then contact one of the custom suit makers and send your mock-up to them...If not, as Melanie said welcome to the Cone Zone

Mel, thanks for the feedback. I don't feel so bad after all. J2s, I thought of that but hell, my 7mm John suit only cost me $149.99 from scuba toys, I have a hard time spending over $30 on a hood. Ya I realize more work goes into a hood etc. Still.....

I'm hoping to get a few years from the hood so we'll see if I need to "alter it" to fit my noggin.

M

Contact Otter Bay for a custom and get it over with.

Pete

Dove the hood the other weekend. I was pretty happy with it. 59° water and the only part even cool was my cone. I will dive the bini next weekend since it will be even cooler. I'm fighting drysuit fever right now. Its especially tough as my LDS says he will sell me whatever suit I want for cost plus $50. Oh boy.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom