Honker Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First 2 sizes are easily available, but I haven't found the last one. I use a hex head for when I want a Yoke to be as streamlined as a DIN regulator (SM in the Caribbean). Boltdepot.com

Tigger,
Where'd you find 3/8" - 20?
McMaster only has 6' rods in that thread.

Rob

Tigger,
Where'd you find 3/8" - 20?
McMaster only has 6' rods in that thread.

Rob

Mea Culpa. I have worked with 3 yoke screw sizes and to the best of my recollection I was able to replace the skinny and middle sized yoke screws. The skinny one only comes on the really wimpy yokes from the 1970s. What I have is 1/2" x 20. Those I got from www.boltdepot.com. I was unable to find the larger screw that matches the currently produced yokes.

If you can't come up with one already made, you might be able to use a tap & die kit to make your own.

I've also got a mostly working mk7 honker. Mine is in desperate need of a new diverter...

I sure wish modern honkey regulators were being made. It seems like a great idea. There must have been some drawback to the feature that I'm unaware of.

Probably that they were HEAVY and the geometry made multiple ports a problem. I did make my son use one until I was certain he was really watching his spg regularly.

Guys I messed up on the middle size, it's 7/16-20 not 3/8. I corrected it in the original post.

McMaster has all 3 sizes in SS

If you can't come up with one already made, you might be able to use a tap & die kit to make your own.

I've also got a mostly working mk7 honker. Mine is in desperate need of a new diverter...

I sure wish modern honkey regulators were being made. It seems like a great idea. There must have been some drawback to the feature that I'm unaware of.
The drawback may have been that it weighs a metric **** ton.

@BIGJACK Is the screw portion of your yoke screw broken or just the "thumb wings?" If just the thumb wings, could you cut them off and attach a knob?
Yes, when I tried to straighten it, it popped right off. I'm not sure how to attach a knob. Epoxy?

As a quick fix you can simply find the correct size stainless steel or brass bolt.

SP used 3 different sizes in their regs, they are:

5/16- 24 .............. 7/16-20.................. 9/16-18

You are looking for the 7/16- 20

SORRY !! I put the wrong thread,. the middle size is 7/16-20 not 3/8!
Thanks Herman. I'll look at ace tomorrow. I'm not fancy, a common bolt will work. I eventually want to find another wingbolt, but right now I just want to get it going.

The quickest, easiest way to determine if the threads are the correct pitch is to nest the original screw with the new one. The threads should mesh closely together like gear teeth. These are SAE fine threads which tend to be harder to find at your average hardware store.

Yes, when I tried to straighten it, it popped right off. I'm not sure how to attach a knob. Epoxy?

OK, so if I'm understanding correctly, the screw portion is still serviceable. Yes, I would use something like JB Weld to hold the knob on. Better yet: if you can get a knob drill and through the knob and screw and install a roll pin.

Some hardware stores sell a variety of knobs that have set screws built into them. OR...just get a 7/16-20 lock nut and screw it on. That might be the easiest route.

Last edited:
@BIGJACK I'm back from CZM. I've got a medium diameter yoke screw!

PM me and we can work out the ransom.

Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom