Honker Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGJACK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I was watching a video on rebuilding my '80 to '87 Honker and noticed the wing nut was bent. So I'll just straighten that up with a pair of pliers. An old MK5 screw is too small, a modern screw is too big, yep I need that Goldilocks screw. Does anyone have that medium sized yoke screw they are willing to part with? Any help is much appreciated.

You must have the middle-generation yoke. You'll have to search ebay, but the silver lining is that older MK7s are practically value-less and you'll get a parts reg. I know someone (awap) who probably has a few of these, but he's no longer a scubaboard member. If you get desperate in a month or two, send me a PM and I'll ask him.

Thanks, I'll keep trying. I don't know why but I really want to rebuild this hunk of a monstrosity and dive it.

Thanks, I'll keep trying. I don't know why but I really want to rebuild this hunk of a monstrosity and dive it.

The same disease afflicts me.

...I don't have a "spare" medium size, but I could spare one if you're stuck and both ebay and AWAP don't come through. It's in Cozumel.

Cameron

I'm away from my stash right now, but I'll check when I return in about a week.

If you can't come up with one already made, you might be able to use a tap & die kit to make your own.

I've also got a mostly working mk7 honker. Mine is in desperate need of a new diverter...

I sure wish modern honkey regulators were being made. It seems like a great idea. There must have been some drawback to the feature that I'm unaware of.

As a quick fix you can simply find the correct size stainless steel or brass bolt.

SP used 3 different sizes in their regs, they are:

5/16- 24 .............. 7/16-20.................. 9/16-18

You are looking for the 7/16- 20

SORRY !! I put the wrong thread,. the middle size is 7/16-20 not 3/8!

Last edited:
@BIGJACK Is the screw portion of your yoke screw broken or just the "thumb wings?" If just the thumb wings, could you cut them off and attach a knob?

As a quick fix you can simply find the correct size stainless steel or brass bolt.

SP used 3 different sizes in their regs, they are:

5/16- 24 .............. 3/8-20.................. 9/16-18

You are looking for the 3/8-20

First 2 sizes are easily available, but I haven't found the last one. I use a hex head for when I want a Yoke to be as streamlined as a DIN regulator (SM in the Caribbean). Boltdepot.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom