Hong Kong Airport Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to bring my dive equipment into and out of Hong Kong soon. Has anyone had any trouble carrying a BC, regulator, fins etc. Checking this in is NOT an option.

Aggiedad,

Hong Kong has one of the most hassle-free customs in the world. You probably won't be stopped at all when entering. In 16 years in Asia I don't remember ever being stopped in HKG airport.

Most of the countries in the region that have frequent divers (Philippines, Thailand, etc.) are familiar with dive equipment and don't give you any hassle. You'll will probably have more trouble with US customs than any Asian customs.

When leaving Hong Kong the airport is pretty strict about carry on bags being he correct size and they are fairly strict about one carryon per passenger (for economy, business is 2 as I recall) but if you ask when you check you can normally get a little tag for an extra bag that tells the airport personnel to let you carry an extra bag. The airport security people are only concerned about size and number, not about whether or not you are carrying dive gear.

I was questioned by airline check-in personnel recently when my checked bag was over weight and I pulled out my reg, but once the supervisor was called over it was easily sorted.

The short of it is you should have a problem.

Cheers,
Drew

happybuddha:
Aggiedad,

Hong Kong has one of the most hassle-free customs in the world. You probably won't be stopped at all when entering. In 16 years in Asia I don't remember ever being stopped in HKG airport.

Most of the countries in the region that have frequent divers (Philippines, Thailand, etc.) are familiar with dive equipment and don't give you any hassle. You'll will probably have more trouble with US customs than any Asian customs.

When leaving Hong Kong the airport is pretty strict about carry on bags being he correct size and they are fairly strict about one carryon per passenger (for economy, business is 2 as I recall) but if you ask when you check you can normally get a little tag for an extra bag that tells the airport personnel to let you carry an extra bag. The airport security people are only concerned about size and number, not about whether or not you are carrying dive gear.

I was questioned by airline check-in personnel recently when my checked bag was over weight and I pulled out my reg, but once the supervisor was called over it was easily sorted.

The short of it is you should have a problem.

Cheers,
Drew

Thanks Drew
I really don't expect too much problem but when I go through the crew line we are always having to stop and show them our shaving cream etc. We had one guy that had a foam rubber space gun replica and they wouldn't let him take it nor would they throw it away. They said "We must have permission from the Captain of the flight"..."I am the Captain and I give my permission". Long story short but they made the company personnnel come over and bring it to the cockpit. ??? The Captain couldn't carry it but someone from the ground could take it to the same spot???
Anyway I am going to dive in Hong Kong in a few weeks and am going to bring my own gear. I will not let them confiscate my Zeagle reg or BC. The flight will just not go then.
Thanks again for the input. I really don't expect a problem.

Dan Drew

Hi Dan,

I live in Hong Kong and most of my diving is done in the philippines - I think the buddha and I are trying to tell you something :wink: . I'm sure you won't have any problems with security checks at Chek Lap Kok, I'm rarely even asked what it is and I sometimes carry all of my gear on board in a carryon. As an aside, this is usually done on ID90 tickets (or ZED?? - I forget the terms sometimes) - my wife is cx cabin crew - so no discrimination there! I'm sure that HK airlines and security are very accustomed to dive gear.

Hope you enjoy the diving here - can't say that I do it very often. Much better diving close by if you have the time!

AggieDad:
They said "We must have permission from the Captain of the flight"..."I am the Captain and I give my permission". Long story short but they made the company personnnel come over and bring it to the cockpit. ??? The Captain couldn't carry it but someone from the ground could take it to the same spot???
Dan Drew

Yeah, and put down those nose-hair scissors too!! You know we don't trust you, you uniformed terrorist!

It's enough to make you cry!

Rob Davie

Scuby Dooby
I am going with Ocean Skydiver in Kowloon and taking the MTR to Choi Hung to Pak Sha Wan Pier and the diving will off Sharp Island I believe. Never dove over here and don't have much experience but the DM is taking me under his wing until I learn the area.
As far as the airport goes. It seems I attract scrutiny and my pessimist nature can just see them telling me I can't take my reg on my own flight. The absolute ridiculous lack of common sense that we face around the world is mind numbing. I cannot take some scissors or "sharp" objects but I have a crash axe on board. ???

Anyway most people don't understand but pilots are under more scrutiny than the average person. They tell me that there is a reason for this but it is secret.

Hope to dive in the Phillipines also. We fly into Clark Air Base.

BigJetDriver69:
Yeah, and put down those nose-hair scissors too!! You know we don't trust you, you uniformed terrorist!

It's enough to make you cry!

Rob Davie

YES IT IS!!!
We have a pilot going through the wringer (Five weeks off so far without pay) just because he got mad about his luggage missing three flights. He was told to wait because his luggage was definitely on the airplane. The agent decided that he must be a threat and that he might have been drinking. He was commercialing in on another airline by direction of our company and obviously he is guilty until he is proven innocent and since the TSA is the prosecution, jury and judge with NO appeal his future is bleak.
I know that you have stories that would make you laugh if it wasn't so stupid.

HK customs / security is actually pretty level headed (but still professional!) in my experience. Here's a story you might appreciate:

My wife, the kids and i decided on a last minute trip to the philippines about 1 year ago. We threw everything into bags and went to the airport in record time. Keep in mind that my wife had just returned from a european flight and was still very jetlagged.

We went through immigration checks and security and I took off quick with my daughter to get her to the toilet before the flight closed. After the potty break we went to the gate and waited for mom . . . and waited . . . and waited. Finally just as it was about to become a big problem she came running up to us in tears.

It turns out that in her jet lagged fog and hurry to leave she had grabbed a small zip bag that she thought was a makeup bag and threw it into her carry on bag. In actuality it turned out to be a bag that she had put a few pocket knives of mine in to keep away from our daughter. Included in these was a double edged 5" bladed butterfly knife I'd bought in the philippines that turned out to be against the law in hong kong!!

After 15 minutes of explaining to security that she really wasn't a terrorist planning to distribute these knives to her accomplices inflight and that, oh by the way, I really am a senior cabin crew who should definitely know better but I'm jet lagged . . . Eventually they just confiscated the whole lot and told her she'd need to pick it up from airport police when she re entered the country. When we got back we immediately went in to see what our punishment would be and they took our property receipt, got the bag and told us to just be a little more careful next time!

Nice folks in my book, especially since no one was arrested!

Back
Top Bottom