Honeymoon Trip to Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to agree with Sea Bees, I've dived with them for the last few years and am very happy with the boat and service.

You should find them easily; they have an office in the JW Marriott.

Everyone seems to agree with the most interesting dive sites, Shark Point, Koh Doc Mai, Anemone Reef, Phi-Phi - King Cruiser is collapsing quite quickly so does not look much like a car ferry anymore but I like it for the fish and nudi's.

Here are a couple of sets of Photo's, some of which were taken on those sites and all of which were taken on Sea Bees boats.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/326281-phuket-day-diving-pictures.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/thailand/369060-similan-phuket-diving-pictures.html

The Similans will be closed when your there, but there is plenty around Phuket to keep you happy for a few days.

Not sure you need to bring all your gear, rental equipment in Phuket is generally good so if on "Honeymoon" all I would bring is the bits you don't want to be without and rent the rest.

Thanks again everyone for the continued input. Really helpful, especially given the limited time I've been able to spend on research. Unfortunately, my fiancée does not prescribe to the "future husband doesn't have to help in the wedding planning" doctrine - despite my attempts to convince her otherwise! :D

BigJeff - great pics! Really enjoyed them.

Unfortunately, my fiancée does not prescribe to the "future husband doesn't have to help in the wedding planning" doctrine - despite my attempts to convince her otherwise! :D
Oh these modern women! My daughter is the same way--she and my new son-in-law are honeymooning in Belize as I type this. He didn't escape the wedding planning responsibilities either. Guess I raised her right :wink:

Oh these modern women! My daughter is the same way--she and my new son-in-law are honeymooning in Belize as I type this. He didn't escape the wedding planning responsibilities either. Guess I raised her right :wink:

Haha, when I got married I was looking forward to the wedding planning but it didn't turn out quite that way either. Sure, I was very busy phoning venues and photographers and florists and what have you but I'd be a fool to think that a mere mortal groom such as myself would be fit to make any decisions on colours, table decorations, invitation cards design and what have yous.:D

That said, I'd do it exactly the same way again if I had to do it over again - provided I get the same wife again.

I also don't agree that it's important to work exclusively with a shop that runs its own boat. They offer just one product, whereas a good agent (of which there are several who frequent the Thailand forum) will offer a range of options and advise you about the pros and cons of each of them....

... As to the question of whether to bring your own gear, I would, especially as you'll be in Indonesia as well. I'm guessing Bali? If that's the case (Bali, that is), you'll want to do some diving up at Tulamben for the Liberty wreck and the muck diving there, or over at Nusa Penida for the mantas and the mola-molas. Regarding water temps, here it's generally in the low 80's, but in Indonesia there are areas where the water is quite a lot chillier (low 70's). You can rent rubber there, though, so if you brought a 3mm full suit for diving here, you could layer another shorty over it for Indon.

Water temp in Bali is currently 28-29 at Tulamben... can easily dive in a .5 mil stinger suit or 3 mil if you like.

As far as "agents versus dive boat owners", of course when a tourist is on a tight schedule, they can use an agent to book a variety of dive locations, and this often requires a number of different dive centers, boat, etc.

On the other hand, I personally don't use agents, because I have not found a value proposition that works for me using agents. The one exception for this was working via email to Sunrise Divers in Phuket for last minute live-a-board prices. I found Sunrise very helpful and would not hesitate to book though them if I was in the market for a live-a-board.

Hey again, Drew. Quick answers and insights....
For Bali, yes, do try to go to Liberty,....

I highly recommend Tauch Terminal for Tulamben. Their resort has nicely renovated deluxe rooms and is right next to the Liberty wreck (the closest of all the resorts in the area). They have "OK" working WiFi and you can roll out of your bed, put on your dive gear, and walk off their dive area for a nice dive to both Coral Garden and the Liberty Wreck. They are "hands down" the best resort for Tulamben (we checked out most of them!)

:D ..... I wasn't particularly thrilled with King Cruiser Wreck either but I did enjoy Ko Dok Mai, a nice drift dive with lots to see. Just a thought.

Having done a number of dives at both the King Cruiser Wreck and Koh Dok Mai, I highly recommend both. Personally, I prefer King Cruiser; but many dive centers dive Koh Dok Mai and the King Cruiser on the same day, so enjoy both! Shark Point makes a great dive as well; so do all three on the same day. PM if you want to know which dive center does these three dives in a single day trip. I have my favorite for that, since Sea Bees (one of my favorites) generally only offers two dives per day on their day trips out of Chalong.

Back
Top Bottom