Honeymoon spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaag03

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m getting married in March and doing research for the honeymoon. We would like to go somewhere in the Caribbean, an adult AI resort. I have looked at Turks and Cacos, but I would like others opinions about where to go and stay. We are in our mid 20’s, and like to have fun.

My new wife and I did the Sandos Playacar Beach Resort http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150812-d153378-Reviews-Hotel_Sandos_Playacar_Beach_Resort-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html and had a blast. You are close enough to the action (downtown Playa) to have fun but far enough away to explore virgin beaches. Sandos is the last resort on the Playa strip and if you head to the beach and turn right you can walk for a couple of miles (water shoes recommended) before you cannot go any further without climbing gear. To your left is the Carribean Ocean and to your right is undeveloped jungle. Rooms were beautiful, beds were way comfotable and the food was absolutely great. The staff was really friendly and was very helpful.

I dove with the outfit (Aqua Inn) right on the grounds of the resort. You leave from the beach in front of the resort and almost every reef I dove was in sight of the resort. Excellent dive vacation spot.

"like to have fun"

A bit vague. I think there are any number of "adults only" type resorts in the Caribbean.

Some expensive, some not
Some are places for honeymoons, some are places to swap partners
Some are posh with spa services, some are a very primitive feel
Some have sit-down dinners, some offer home style
Some have tv and air conditioning, some have private cabanas over the reef
Some require a lot of fussy travel and plane changing, some have regular flights direct
Some are dive resorts, and some are resorts that happen to offer diving

What'cha up for?

Couples Resorts in Jamaica are fantastic. www.couples.com. They are all exceptionally romantic however my wife and I are very partial to Couples Swept Away in Negril. The service at Couples is excellent and everythig is inlcuded. period. All the food you could imagine and it is VERY good. Top shelf liquor. The Couples family of resorts make you feel just like that... FAMILY. The dive shop at Swept Away is fantastic and the diving in Negril is really pretty decent. This is NOT a dive resort but rather a very nice resort that has good diving. Swept Away is not a swinging type of Adults Only... it is for romantic couples so don't expect it to be the party place that a place like Hedonism is. A lot of people will talk about how great Mexico AI's are but having done both, I don't believe there is any comparison. The Couples brand does NOT have huge fancy resorts. They are much smaller for a reason. The staff will know you by name shortly after your arrival. There are no tacky wristbands that identify you as a guest and tell staff which restuarants you can go to. 7 mile beach in Negril is incredible.

Give them a look. Having dived the Keys, Bahamas, Coastal Carolina and Jamiaca, all things considered, we'll take Negril.

Back
Top Bottom