Honeymoon Couple Zip-Lining Fatality on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Honduran Institute of Tourism told Radio America it regretted the accident, saying it was due to “poor operation” on behalf of the couple. The institute’s director, Emilio Silvestri, told Radio America that the company in charge of the zip line took all appropriate security measures.
Gotta love blaming the victims. Well.. really, you don't. Literally adding insult to injury.

Gotta love blaming the victims.

That is simply a foundation element of the Honduran tort and liability system

You're not in Kansas, anymore.

As a PADI instructor teaching in Honduras, It is that one place where is no requirement that I have or buy liability insurance. Do the math.

What could possibly go wrong with a carnival ride in the Caribbean?

A steel contraption in the salt air.

Designed by some guys.

Operated by some other guys.

No different than the USA actually, but here we have State inspections and bunches of liability insurance, layers of corporate ownership, and nerdlings with calculators. Nobody in the US that actually owns the land is operating such a dubious contraption. Think about it.

This kind of "attraction" is an unfortunate by-product of cruise-ship "diversion" mentality, coming from the bored customer wanting to live on the edge, paired up with some local clowns with a hill.

Why would any cruiser ever leave Mahogany Bay (Ummm, Dixon Cove for all you sticklers of reality) and forgo the pleasures of riding that typically tropical four place ski chairlift?

Yuck.

Last edited:
Very sad event that did not need to happen
Condolences to the family

I Agree with Doc-- 110%

I did this zip line about 15- 20 years ago
At that time it was new and to me exciting zooming through the trees

As I recall the manager was a lady from San Diego-- Her name as Beer and we had a number of mutual diving friends

SDM

Very sad event that did not need to happen
Condolences to the family

I Agree with Doc-- 110%

I did this zip line about 15- 20 years ago
At that time it was new and to me exciting zooming through the trees

As I recall the manager was a lady from San Diego-- Her name as Beer and we had a number of mutual diving friends

SDM
A woman named beer? Did you propose marriage?

A woman named beer? Did you propose marriage?

Nah, as bubbly as she might seem, she was actually quite cold.

I am a teetotaler !

" I don't drink...
and I don't chew
and I don't go with girls who do "

Bit sure do miss my Frosty Root Beer or Dads Old fashioned root Beer
If her name would have been Frosty Root Beer or Dads Old fashioned root Beer it would have been love at first sight

SAM

Very sad.
I once bought trip insurance for a dive trip to Belize. I asked the agent to confirm that I was covered on a dive trip. He asked if I was going to be zip-lining. I answered "no". He said I was covered as long as I wasn't zip-lining, only diving.

Reactions: Doc
As someone who spends a large part of his time at work at heights, dealing with the exact same hardware, and in some cases systems that are essentially zip-lines for "other stuff besides people," this doesn't seem to be a mechanical failure of the zip-line in any way. A zip-line is essentially a free-running Tyrolean.

I won't rule out that there could be a mechanical issue with the individual hardware, but there is very little that can go wrong with the systems. Most Zip-lines use either a Petzl Tandem Trolley, or something similar as a means to suspend the rider. They are very simple and don't "just break." It is very obvious when they reach the end of their lifespan, and unless the operator had zero procedures for hardware inspection in place, it would have been caught. I have a hard time believing that it was a failure of the gear.

Barring an improbable mechanical failure, my best guess would be that the woman stopped herself, either intentionally or unintentionally. Most zip-line operators provide a braking mechanism of some form. Quite often, it's a glove with a thick piece of leather sewn onto it, and the instruction given is to squeeze the zip-line when you want to slow down. Zip-lines don't always exist between radically different elevations, and commonly the momentum of the rider simply carries them to the end once they've surpassed the halfway point. However, because zip-lines are rarely taut throughout long distance runs, a significant portion of the suspension cable actually runs "uphill" after the halfway mark. If the rider does not have enough momentum once they've run through the belly of the cable, it's entirely possible to completely stop before reaching the end of the line. If the amount of belly in the cable is significant, they could even travers backwards to the lowest point on the cable. If the "pusher" and the "catcher" are not in radio contact and operating under the policy that there will only be one person on the line at a time, it's quite possible that the woman stopped herself, her husband was already on the line, and thus a collision.

It's a tragedy, especially considering that it happened on their honeymoon. It should not have happened. While the woman's own actions may have been the cause of the accident, she's most certainly not to blame. Even without any fault of the system, it seems as though the operating procedures in place led to the circumstances where this accident could occur.

My opinion is from a work-at-height background, and deemed a "Competent Person" at work. It's an OSHA definition. Essentially it means I have the expertise to identify risk, make recommendations, and have the authority to shut work down if I deem it appropriate. I write risk assessments, develop rescue plans, etc., for situations just like this. And provided that all of the equipment was in working order, a regular inspection schedule, retirement protocol, and qualified staff were in charge of the health and safety of the hardware, barring any further information, the recommendation I would make is that the two guides were in contact with each other, and there is to be only one person on the line at a time. Remove the potential hazard and then you don't have to worry about it at all.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom