Homemade weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

really really well!

I sacrificed several pairs of my wife and daughters nylons and viola soft weights that will stay dry, are soft and moldable and it only cost me $0.58 a pound...if the girls don't notice the missing nylons.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I just made some soft weights using some #9 shot. I measured the shot on a postal scale and like Desa said, I used knee high stockings, put the lead in them, twisted and pulled through again and tied a knot. Seeing that I had extra left I repeated the process again. Makes neat looking weights.

Using the food saver will work. Not very strong, but it will work. When I made my video housing, I made a long, thin one to put along the bottom of the housing. That said, If using them for dive weights, I would at the very least double bag them. Other than the durability issues, I see no valid reason (other than it's not DIR :wink: ) why it wouldn't work. Just replace the outer bag as it wears. If you have access to a sewing machine, you could make some out of cordura, which is what I did for some mini trim weights.

John

GreyIII:
Does anyone know of a reason why someone could not take 7.5 Lead Shot and make their own weights using a food saver?

This would make the packages air tight and water proof.

Are there any adverse consequences to doing it this way? I just have a hard time buying weights for $2.20 + tax a pound when I can do it this way for around $0.58 a pound!

I have made specialized sized weights many times for doubles and my rebreather.

I made some the other day for my rebreather counter lungs by sewing a 1" tube strap on one end, filled it with lead shot and sewed it closed. Each weighed about 2 pounds and was just enough to help me adjust my rebreathers trim.

Now I am happy, my feet are above my head and my shoulders are down in the correct swimming possition.

Sounds fun but sometimes time is money too for some of us less craftly individuals. That said, where does one get lead shot to use for weights? My wife can sew and is a diver so this might be a project for both of us if I can get the shot here in NYC. It does stink to have to pay for weights. Over $100 bucks for weights for the two of us is a bit much! One more thing, nylon socks or stockings? Are they strong enough because I seem to recall my wife complaining that "those damn things rip all the time..." or something.

scubadobadoo:
Sounds fun but sometimes time is money too for some of us less craftly individuals. That said, where does one get lead shot to use for weights? My wife can sew and is a diver so this might be a project for both of us if I can get the shot here in NYC. It does stink to have to pay for weights. Over $100 bucks for weights for the two of us is a bit much! One more thing, nylon socks or stockings? Are they strong enough because I seem to recall my wife complaining that "those damn things rip all the time..." or something.

Sporting goods store, reloading supplies, gun shop etc.

Regards,

Tobin

That's what I figured. Thanks Tobin. They say that in NYC you can get anything at any time, and that it never sleeps. All lies! NYC can be a pain when it comes to outdoor gear, gun shops, and the like. Not much hunting going on in Queens! Not counting criminal hunting ofcourse. Hee hee. Sports Authority is mostly the kind of sporting goods store you get here. Heck, we don't even have a Wal Mart. Where I used to live (Tallahasse) there was a great outdoor sporting goods store that would have had exactly what I need. Here in NYC however, the hunt is on. People will look at me cock eyed if ask for lead shot. Then if I try to explain why I need it, they will really think I am crazy and that's assuming they speak English...

scubadobadoo:
That's what I figured. Thanks Tobin. They say that in NYC you can get anything at any time, and that it never sleeps. All lies! NYC can be a pain when it comes to outdoor gear, gun shops, and the like. Not much hunting going on in Queens! Not counting criminal hunting ofcourse. Hee hee. Sports Authority is mostly the kind of sporting goods store you get here. Heck, we don't even have a Wal Mart. Where I used to live (Tallahasse) there was a great outdoor sporting goods store that would have had exactly what I need. Here in NYC however, the hunt is on. People will look at me cock eyed if ask for lead shot. Then if I try to explain why I need it, they will really think I am crazy and that's assuming they speak English...

I failed to note your location, out here in the "Wild West" 'bout every 3rd store has reloading supplies, free with a full tank of gas, etc. :D

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
I failed to note your location, out here in the "Wild West" 'bout every 3rd store has reloading supplies, free with a full tank of gas, etc. :D

Tobin

Too funny, and too close to home. I used to live in Northern California near Susanville, an area we called "The Nevada Panhandle". I can remember more than a few trips to the local convenience store for beer and bullets. Not a drinker myself back then, I always ended up driving. I still remember the signs on the edges of small towns in Nevada, "No shooting within town limits". I miss those days!

Good luck finding shooting supplies in NYC. You could try the used tire weight thing. Crude, but effective. Covered by fabric though, who knows the difference. If you use a nylon material, use a heated pin to melt some small holes to allow air to escape and water to drain. Creativity (well, and money...) is your only limitting factor.

John

scubadobadoo:
Hey scubadobadoo, check arround for any bird hunting clubs or skeet shooting clubs. I know there are some just outside the city of NYC. I was up there about 15 years ago, I don't have any names for you but, they do exist.

Those guys and gals who shoot skeet and birds usually load their own rounds, so they should be able to tell you where to get it. I have even found sometimes they will buy an new shot that they don't like and will give it away. Just FYI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom