Homemade weight molds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can make a lead mold from bondo. I have been making fishing weights from bondo molds for a few months now. All you need is bondo, green Styrofoam for fake flower arrangements or clay, a wood form, and cooking spray. You press the weight you want to make a mold ½ way into the Styrofoam or clay. Build a from around it. Spray everything with cooking spray for a release agent and pour in the bondo. Flip over the mold, remove the Styrofoam leaving the first ½ of the mold and the weight you are making the mold from. Spray everything with cooking spray and pour in the 2nd ½ with bondo. After it is hardened, strip the wood form and remove the weight you made the mold from. Drill a hole to pour in the lead and you are done. You need to use a clamp to keep the 2 half’s together during casting. image.jpegimage 1.jpegphoto 2.jpg

Hello all,
I will be in Florida in June , an address near Vero Beach. I am in need of dive weight molds 2,3,4 lb .... any suggestions where can I get them ?

That's why I use depleted Uranium as weights.... Jim...

Sorry to bring up a old topic but im having poblems using my trident weigh mold i just got. We have poured lead befoe but mostly small hunting weights. We have not had issues with dropping the weight out. We are using reclaimed tire weights. None of them willdrop from the mold unless we take the tiger torch and re heat it. If we try t o drop it after abor 15 mins of cooling it comes out cracked. We left it cool over night even and it willnot separate from the mold. Any suggestions from the hive mind?

The mold shrinks at a different rate than the lead. Dropping em just after they solidify works best for me. But then, the poisonous fumes have made me give it up. I've seen some people use PAM or talc as a release agent. Of course, you could just find this:

81K7inAGQ3L._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks. Didn't have pam, but the WD40 helped. Seems to be only sticking in one spot. may try some filing there see if i can make it better, but we got several out of it finally still warmish and not cracking. thanks for the tip

Boron Nitride spray is SERIOUS overkill for this kind of low temperature casting. Graphite will be fine, if you need anything.

ANTI-SEIZE TECHNOLOGY 17041 Graphite Spray Dry Aerosol Lubricant, (Net Weight:12 oz.): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

or if you want to spend a few extra bucks for a "name", get:

Amazon.com : Frankford Arsenal Bullet Mold Release Agent : Hunting And Shooting Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

obtw, RotoMetals had a "special" - 3 x 20 lb bags of reclaimed lead shot for $67 shipped. I ordered, and expected shipping would take a few weeks. Was surprised to find a PRIORITY USPS package on my doorstep 2 days later. I only wish I could have seen the mail carrier's face... Just for fun I asked my daughter to bring it in the house for me.
:devil:
-Don

I have already made two molds, one I turned on a lathe and the other I milled out of square stock. I have poured out 20 lbs of weight so far for me and a dive buddy but the weights are not exact i.e. 2lbs. It is cheaper for me to make a mold than it is to buy one as I have the material and equipment to make them. I would just like to be able to get the weighting more accurate.

I have made a couple weight molds to be able to pour my own scuba weights for an weight integrated BC but have just guessed at the sizes to make the mold and I don't get an even number(1lbs, 2lbs) for the weight. Has anybody made their own molds and if so what is the size for getting the correct weight?
Take 1 lbs of lead melt it. put it in the mold and mark the mold.

Back
Top Bottom