Homemade soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if the lead shot was put in a plastic bag that could be vacuum sealed? That way no lead could leach out and no trapped air to worry about?

the foodsaver vacuum bag seals don't last very long. i've been using that method and can confirm it'll last only a few dives before the seal breaks. it still holds the lead shot, but no longer holds a vacuum.

What if the lead shot was put in a plastic bag that could be vacuum sealed? That way no lead could leach out and no trapped air to worry about?
it's a way of making a weight block, but it won't be a soft weight if that's what you're going for.

Vacuuming out the gas will minimize the amount of space/buoyancy contributed by that, but there will still be "space" - it's theoretically on the order of 25% for packing spheres in a box if I remember correctly. (Filled with vacuum rather than air, which would marginally more buoyant.) So it will be a bit less dense than a solid lead weight.

it's a way of making a weight block, but it won't be a soft weight if that's what you're going for.

Vacuuming out the gas will minimize the amount of space/buoyancy contributed by that, but there will still be "space" - it's theoretically on the order of 25% for packing spheres in a box if I remember correctly. (Filled with vacuum rather than air, which would marginally more buoyant.) So it will be a bit less dense than a solid lead weight.

Gotcha. Soft weight or not, doesn't matter to me. I have a buddy at work that is a blacksmith as a hobby. He's going to get used lead wheel weights (we work at a car dealership) and melt them into blocks for me to use in my weight intergrated BCD. Net cost: $0! Or I'll at least buy him a lunch or two. :D

There are plenty of thread and websites discussing melting tire wheel weights. It is a bit dangerous to do but being your buddy is doing it, who cares. I would have thought their is a market for used wheel weights now because the price of lead is so high. Back in the 90s lead weights were only $1 per pound. Not the price you see today.

Also don't breath it, rub your eyes after handling it, put your face in the water you just soaked your weights in, etc etc.

Wash your hands after handling. Lead is particularly bad for children and developing fetuses so try to wash your hands before playing with your kids etc. CDC - Lead - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

Definitely don't rinse your weight belt in the same water you rinse your other gear in. You can pretty much skip rinsing lead altogether, it doesn't corrode.

Also don't breath it, rub your eyes after handling it, put your face in the water you just soaked your weights in, etc etc.

I don't know. I like to inject most of my favorite meals with lead. I use a special applicator that delivers the lead directly into my dinner at about 1200 fps.

You could also use steel shot, which is what is required for water fowl due to the enviromental concerns. Keep in mind your killing power will be reduced, but it should help you sink just the same. I would think if you're going to make your own soft weight, steel shot would be preferred.

I don't know. I like to inject most of my favorite meals with lead. I use a special applicator that delivers the lead directly into my dinner at about 1200 fps.

You could also use steel shot, which is what is required for water fowl due to the enviromental concerns. Keep in mind your killing power will be reduced, but it should help you sink just the same. I would think if you're going to make your own soft weight, steel shot would be preferred.

Wouldn't steel shot start to rust in salt water after a few dives?

Wouldn't steel shot start to rust in salt water after a few dives?

If it's good enough for the ducks and the fish... I don't know if/how the steel shot is treated to prevent corrosion. I suppose the only real problem with that is the staining of your personal gear. After all, we do sink artifical reefs that corrode, right?

Back
Top Bottom