Homemade GoPro tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like both ideas. The simplicity ans ease of construction of El Pistoffo's, and the ergonomics of 4dawgma's. I'll be picking up a video camera soon, so I'll be keeping an eye on this DIY process.

4dawgma - What material are you going to use for the tray? Have you considered buoyancy in your design?

On a side note, my first dives with GoPro I was greasing the o-ring. Is this necessary?
Don't. System is designed to be used without grease and grease increases the chance of particulate matter sticking to o-ring, increasing chances of leakage. GoPro used to have a memo about this in their support section but it appears to have disappeared with website revisions.

Tray is aluminum, it may weigh a pound or so. That light on the other hand....

Nice.

I've always speculated the point of moving the camera forward was to effectively move the lights behind the camera a bit to allow for more light spread & maybe less back scatter.

My rig is a simple straight aluminum bar and I have to angle my lights in a bit to ensure coverage of near subjects.

I've used the GoPro sticky pads on my bike helmet and am impressed how well they hold. Never trusted them enough for SCUBA use, though, so use screws and tripod mounts to attach cameras.

I'll be finishing it up this afternoon. Got to play with some fun toys. Will start another thread this evening after the dust settles and post some pics.

Alright, this thing kicked my azz. But it's done and ready for a test run this weekend.

Here's the base. Not as good welding aluminum as I am steel.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376439119.639098.jpg

The hardest part was manufacting a "T1" attachment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376439213.477227.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376439279.863125.jpg

I put some lock tight on there so that baby ain't coming off anytime soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376439409.103792.jpg

Just using the glue pad now. I'll probably tie it off for the test just to be safe. Will find a couple of screws and make a more permanent connection when I get back. Any input is welcome.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376439633.034760.jpg

It's just a cheap light (50 bucks @ 250 lumens) but its a start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom