Home Stay at Raja Ampat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer your question, I've been to the area 2 times for 3 weeks in total and it is definitely much more than good enough to quench the thirst.
Good enough for me.
But I still like the idea of moving between two islands so as to sample different environment.
There are a lot of posts on LoB to Raja Ampat however not that much on Home Stay. Is it because the words hasn't gone out fast enough? Given the speed of modern day communication I doubt it is the case.

Good enough for me.
But I still like the idea of moving between two islands so as to sample different environment.
I totally understand. What I am trying to say is that between Gam and Kri you won't find much of a difference especially in the diving environment. You'd need to move further away.

There are a lot of posts on LoB to Raja Ampat however not that much on Home Stay. Is it because the words hasn't gone out fast enough?
That's a good question. Have you read this Raja Ampat Homestays: What are they like and are they for you? and this https://www.stayrajaampat.com/ultimate-raja-ampat-guide/see-and-do/diving-with-raja-ampat-homestays/ ?
I'd say that homestay type of accommodation is not for everybody. Rooms, amenities, hygiene, transport, even electricity etc are very basic (although constantly improving). To me these were good reasons to visit and eventually like the place - but several people wouldn't consider these acceptable.

As far as diving is concerned, again a lot of people in SB would consider Raja Ampat homestay's diving conditions unacceptable. In sort, very limited (if any) oxygen supply, no nearby chamber, equipment pushed to the limits, no PLBs, etc etc. For example I've seen non certified divers going regularly down to 80 or more feet after only a couple of "introductory" dives - you get the point.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting to avoid the place - on the contrary I'd happily go back. What I am saying is that there are important reasons to drive several people away.

I know that the SB community is huge and hence it should cover the whole spectrum of people, but I get the impression that the distribution of at least the active (i.e. talkative) members is very skewed towards the high end.
Hence I think that most people in here would consider homestays too dangerous/dirty/uncomfortable/you name it to try.

Also another important reason that you don't see too many people advertising RA homestays might be this: The place is getting already too many people (see money). Hence it is changing fast and as usual not so much to the right direction. That's because by changing it is loosing the very reasons that it is so special - mainly it's natural beauty. Several people would not loudly advertise such places.

There might be more to this but I think the reasons given above are the main ones why homestays don't get too much attention in here.

This remind me about tracking in Nepal! A lot of places along various trails have been suffering from deforestation because trekkers need hot water for shower(!) and fuel for cooking etc. And the locals need wood to expand their homes and built new tea houses to coup with the insatiable demand from the tourists.

Let's hope the place would not go down the same way as some certain islands in some countries.

I did the homestay way last year. Stayed in Kri for 11 days.
Homestay 350,000 per night
26 dives at 400,000 per dive. Own equipment. Negotiated volume price.

Full board(350k) + 3 dives per day(3 x 400k = 1.2M) = IR 1.55M = US$115.00!!!

It is a crime not to give it a try and Home Stay here I come.
I will pack couple cans of sardine and bean just in case and will bring the thresh out.

Don't rent equipment as often its pretty bad.

If that is true, what makes you think that the air they provide is good? Do you have a way to evaluate it?

If there is an issue, do you have a way to contact DAN?

If you have a minor injury (e.g. coral scrape) are they able to provide first aid?

How did you find the quality of their DMing?

...are all questions I have. Asking for a friend.

- Bill

I'd say that homestay type of accommodation is not for everybody. Rooms, amenities, hygiene, transport, even electricity etc are very basic (although constantly improving). To me these were good reasons to visit and eventually like the place - but several people wouldn't consider these acceptable.

As far as diving is concerned, again a lot of people in SB would consider Raja Ampat homestay's diving conditions unacceptable. In sort, very limited (if any) oxygen supply, no nearby chamber, equipment pushed to the limits, no PLBs, etc etc. For example I've seen non certified divers going regularly down to 80 or more feet after only a couple of "introductory" dives - you get the point.

Hence I think that most people in here would consider homestays too dangerous/dirty/uncomfortable/you name it to try.

They are not for me. Some of it is age.

- Bill

They are not for me. Some of it is age.

- Bill
Hi Bill,
I know you and your wife have done many trips in R4. Do you remember the sites that you have dived in Dampier Strait? And how do you rate them?

Cheers.

Hi Bill,
I know you and your wife have done many trips in R4. Do you remember the sites that you have dived in Dampier Strait? And how do you rate them?

Cheers.

I remember some. I am not the greatest to ask about sites, we don't keep logs.

I certainly have my favorites: Blue Magic (mantas), Cape Kri (tons of fish, can be VERY currenty), Melissa's Garden (acres of hard corals). After that, my recollection is vague. Sorry!

- Bill

Melissa's Garden (acres of hard corals)
Melissa's Garden is actually near Piaynemo at Pam islands hence kind of far from Dampier straight. Kri/Gam homestays would dive there only on a specially arranged day trip and the boat price to go there is about 5M Rupias (to be shared by all the passengers) not including the normal price for the dives.

Melissa's Garden is actually near Piaynemo at Pam islands hence kind of far from Dampier straight. Kri/Gam homestays would dive there only on a specially arranged day trip and the boat price to go there is about 5M Rupias (to be shared by all the passengers) not including the normal price for the dives.

Thanks for the info, Stepfen!

My opinion is: it's worth considering. Rp 5M = USD $370. Awesome site.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom