Home made underwater housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FunkyDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone tried to make, AND had good luck with a home made underwater housing. I have small Canon video camera and was considering using it for underwater. However the Ikelite housing for it is approx $800 (which is more than twice what the camera cost new. I am considering trying to make an extremely basic one that I would just turn the camera on, slip it in and close the housing. But before I do, I just wondered if anybody else has, and I'm looking for some details as to how you did it. Maybe later in a "second or third generation" model I could try to work a few basic controls in. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for providing the link to willydiver's thread!:D

Why would anyone want to do this when there are a number of high quality tested housings available for only $3-4K. Oh, now I get it!

Keep in mind that a DIY housing has not gone through rigorous engineering and design, or pressure testing. I know my housings are pressure tested to depths of 150-200' and I've had no problem with them in those depth ranges. That is worth something given the cost of the camcorders (even though they are insured).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom