home made helmet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would really like a hood or helmet that has a nice large shark fin on top. anyone ever seen one made one or been diving with one, does the fin get in the way? does it have to be neural buoyant? would a military helmet with maybe a fiberglass fin work? or maybe just a neoprene hood with a fiberglass fin punched through but then there is the problem of stabilizing it. :lotsalove:

Construction helmet from Home Depot or Lowes - about $6. 1 inch webbing with velcro on the ends, also available at HD or Lowes (usually on one of the end caps) - about $2. Make your fin and bolt it to the helmet. Don't forget to drill a hole in the top of the helmet to let air from your exhaust out of it.

There is some place in Maryland that does custom hood etc. I have seen bright green Shreck hoods at Milbrook complete with ears. A sharkfin would I suspect be an almost stock item for them.

If I could remember the name, I'd probably order something myself to go with the PADI Bubble Maker patch I want to put on my drysuit before I take my Full Cave course.

One must take great care to ensure one does not take one's self to seriously.

There is some place in Maryland that does custom hood etc. I have seen bright green Shreck hoods at Milbrook complete with ears. A sharkfin would I suspect be an almost stock item for them.

If I could remember the name, I'd probably order something myself to go with the PADI Bubble Maker patch I want to put on my drysuit before I take my Full Cave course.

One must take great care to ensure one does not take one's self to seriously.

For full cave you need a grim reaper mask with a long robe...

I was thinking about a 12" fin maybe carbon fiber. does any one have an opinion on weather the fisies would be offended if i had a fin on my head and one on my tank? and if a big fish might be so put off that it would try to teach me a lesson?

I was thinking about a 12" fin maybe carbon fiber.

It's not about the size of the fin - it's how you use it :wink:

On a serious note, I wouldn't be making it too big or stiff (oh dear, who's going to take that out of context?) or it might be kinda annoying if you plan on turning your head.

Some more ideas here.

Back
Top Bottom