Home made DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mutiny360

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I started out building a scooter just for the fun of it. I was hoping to get something to play around with in the quarry when I'm diving doubles. I ended up buying an old Tekna DV-3X, for cheap, to get a motor and a shroud. The 2 hardest things to get my hands on. Also got the inner workings out of it for the reed switches. My uncle got me a short piece of 10" PVC and I made up 2 end caps by laminating PVC 1x12s together. I have some pictures of the progress so far. I have to build the rest of the shroud mounts and then get some batteries to test it out. Hoping to run around 18 amp hour batteries. But will see how big I can go when I set the bouyancy I got o-rings from Mcmaster carr hopefully they are big enough. I will update as I get things done, test them out.

Attachments

• PICT0528.jpg
    PICT0528.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 708
  • PICT0529.jpg
    PICT0529.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 633
  • PICT0530.jpg
    PICT0530.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 591
  • PICT0531.jpg
    PICT0531.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 611
  • PICT0532.jpg
    PICT0532.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 721
I will be watching for the finished product. Good luck on your build!

Nice start! Instead of reed switches I hink it is better to take hall switch.
( much faster , don't glue contacts together , more safe contact (because of integrated smitth trigger , much smaller , work just on one pole normally south , which made installation much simpler)
like datasheet look on UA package

That's a great start. I have a project started too. You're right about the motor and shroud. Where in PA are you? I'm in northeast.
I'll keep an eye on this!
Harrison

Will probably be testing it in the pool with the local dive shop first, then if all goes well probably dutch springs. I'm located in Ephrata PA, just outside of Lancaster.

Any updates on this project? Looks like you had a good start on it...

I have the outer shell assembled now I just need to put it in water and find out how much weight it takes to make it close to neutral. Then I can order batteries that will come as close as possible to that weight. Will let you know and take pics when I test it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom