home fill station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnjim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i am trying to get info and opinion on the various compressors out there, i am considering getting my own system to fill my own tanks i will need a unit capable of filling high pressure tanks and be able to blend gases, i am aware that this will be fairly expensive but i think the convenence will be worth it. i do want a good unit with a reputation for long term reliability, and size is not too much of an issue.

OMG, if you only knew what you are getting yourself into.......

Since it sounds like you are just venturing in the deep end here you might want to start with the book "The Oxygen Hacker's Guide" by Vance Harlow. This is a good starter on all things home fill station. (Available from Airspeedpress.com)

As far as manufacturers go Bauer does have probably the most reliable reputation out there but you will also pay more for those machines (new).

What you need will really be driven by how many tanks per day/week/month you plan to fill, the max fill pressure you need, the power you have available to you (single phase vs three phase).
Other considerations are the size of your wallet, and if you are married whether or not you want to stay that way.

You could spend as little as 3 to 4 grad up to $30,000, it just depends on size, new or used and what bells and whistles you want.

DSC00395n.JPG

DSC00400n.JPG

Manifold%2CFill.JPG

In doing your own home system you must have patience and you can find deals. I found this Loaded Bauer VT9 with only 237 hours with all the bells and whistles for 4000.00, The booster, most the tanks, the master regulators and a bunch of fittings all on e-bay. You need to search around and don't jump on it but watch it. If it is not too high make a bid. Or if the item doesn't sell and the bidding is over then make an offer to them. This is how I got most my items. Just watch the item. When it didn't sell I went back to my e-bay account looked at my watch this item folder and all the info is still there. Then make a offer. But you must have patience if you’re looking for deals. It took me 6 months to find the compressor. One year of looking for the booster. But I got a brand new 13000 dollar booster for 4000 dollars; it came from a hospital that posted it on e-bay. I was there backup pump for an oxygen chamber. It was a killer deal. I got most my bank tanks from 75 dollars up to 200. also call around hydro shops also about tanks you can get good deals from them. I picked up 6 3500's for 75 each with fresh hydros, O2 cleaned and painted from a hydro shop.
Compressors pop up all the time due to most fire departments are upgrading to 6000 psi systems. Most fire department compressors’ will have all the options also
Oh under 11 CFM you can take a three phase motor and purchase a sinle phase 220 for it. That's due to they are 10 hp or less.
This is my home system for me and a few friends.

aHeavy....you have a sickness that i envy. That is an awesome setup, with a tri-hunter no less...dang

Dang, now that's a pump station! My personal fill station is a humble .6cfm cornelius with a 1/2 hp motor and filtration that I built. Takes about 2 hours to fill a 72. I think its safe to say we cover both ends of the spectrum here.....! I'm currently on the search for a Mako project to get up to around 5+ cfm with 2 cascade bank. This can get addictive!

aHeavy....you have a sickness that i envy. That is an awesome setup, with a tri-hunter no less...dang

Yea sort of got carried away with the tanks. It was nothing for the longest time then when I started coming across them for a great price they were in lots of 5, 7,9. So I bought them all. If you can find a 4500 psi tank for 150 dollars. Ten years from now I could still get that money back. It's not a investment but let say I bet I could get all my money back on the tanks, likely on the booster and compressor on how well I take care them. Two years ago seeing my money in the 401 was depressing me as it kept going down.

The tri hunter was a little gift to myself after I finished building the system. I was going to build one but knew it would top off the system well and had all the safteys built in. Plus Wayne is a great guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom