Home brand or a known brand?

Would trust a known brand to a unknown brand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weddas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i was wondering would you trust a "unknown" brand to a "known" brand? :huh:
please let me know :wink:
chris
ps no i am not bored :D

For diving equipment?

Well, a couple of things first. Are you certified and how many dives do you have? The reason we ask this is because if you are quite new, it's best to rent equipment until you are sure how much you will be diving. There is a lot of scuba equipment sitting in closets because the person either lost interest or didn't have as much time as they thought they did.

Why???? Are you going to buy equipments?

yes im think of buying a mix of equiptment. but they are all brands that i have not heard of here are a 2
aquatec
preformance diver
then there are brands like aqua lung that are expensive but the unknown brands are reasonablely priced
and yes i am certificated
thanks
chris

oh and i have 10 dives under my sleeve and thinking of doing alot of other dives in the next month. I was reccomended by my LDS that if possable buy your own dive gear because it is more comfortable and you dont need to rent and have the problem of wrong sizes or not small enough sizes (im 13).

well no one's actually answered your question yet so i guess i will!
I'm such a labels freak in real life that i'd prob. go for a known brand. I have my fins, gloves and boots made by cressi. However, that's with the clothes (cos i don't wanna look whack in the water do I?). With stuff like regs, BCD's etc. - which will be my next buy - I would read around in diving mags. 9/10 at least one of the mags is running an article on which is the best reg? etc. Then go to the store, look around, ask advice of the guy. Just get as much info as you can really. going to your local dive centre will help too. I suppose they all function well enough cos they have to pass certain criteria right?

I used home brand equipments for training used....No problem

The question in your OP is inverted WRT the Poll question.

I answered YES to imply that I don't go by name.

When I restarted diving again a few years ago and my wife started I decided to purchase some gear and after looking around I came to the conclusion that there is some very good gear on the market at cheap prices. Certainly perfectly adequate for typical rec diving. So we bought a couple of very cheap unbranded TAIWAN made regs. The salesman told me that the factory was in fact the same one churning out some top-line branded regs under OEM arrangements for Italian and American companies.
However being an engineer I did take one one precaution in that I didn't purchase 2 identical items of anything to avoid the risk of simultaneous failure in the event of any design flaw.
Anyway, the intention was to just use these to get back into diving and use them for a short time in preference to using rental gear of unknown quality.
As it turned out the equipment was fine. I did in fact replace my reg set by a top line one I came across on ebay a short time later but my wife continued to use hers for the next 200+ dives, many in the 30-45m range.
The regs are serviced annually and have performed impeccably.
WOB is low and compares to regs costing far more.
I have recently replaced my wife's reg set by another top end set but only because Aqualung discontinued a line and my LDS burned them off at a price that was too good to pass up.
In any case when we travel, her cheap set became our reserve. I'd have no qualms about using it for any rec dive.
It was a good investment.

Back
Top Bottom