Holy smokes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, today I got to dive my new rig. I've had it for a couple of weeks now, but as of yet I'd been unable to dive it.

After a tremendous amount of research, and countless dives with various bits of gear, I finally made my purchases. It included:

Backplate (Gary Hoadley SS plate)
Wings (Halcyon Pioneer 27 lb.)
Scubapro MK16 1st stage
Scubapro S550 primary
Scubapro R380 backup
DIR configured harness
DIR configured hoses (7 ft. primary, necklaced backup)
Halcyon hard pocket (for storage of "stuff" while diving in a wetsuit)
A pair of Scout lights placed on the harness DIR style
3mm wetsuit by O'Neill
Mares Avanti Quatto fins
Scubapro Fino mask with a black skirt
Luxfer S080 AL tank
Vyper computer, in gauge mode
Suunto SK-7 compass
100' Halcyon spool
Halcyon "semi-closed" lift bag
Halcyon "Stealth Pack"
and a whole bunch of new skills that I learned in DIR-F class.

How do I put this?

Wow. :D

This whole configuration is completely dialed in! I mean, it's nailed! I can't believe the amazingly perfect buoyancy control I have with this rig. The whole dive was absolutely incredible. The entire rig enabled me to be more streamlined than ever before, and a 2+ knot current was easy to fight.

Why would anyone not want this rig? I can't imagine a circumstance where it wouldn't be the best system available. Sure, setup was a pain, and I have a thousand little "tweaks" that I want to do to it for tomorrow's dives... But my gosh this is nice!

Some highlights:

A 27 lb wing is terrific. The system can carry me high at the surface, with absolutely no "face forward" push like in so many back inflate BC's. I attribute this to the shape of the wing and to the fact that the rig carrys it's weight behind the diver. Very nice!

6 pounds of weight is all I need with this rig. It's soooo wonderful not having to worry about weight...

The stability of this rig is incredible. Sure, it's not as comfy as some padded wonder-BC, but when you get in the water, this rig really shines because there's no pointless extra padding all over the place. I don't know why anyone would ever elect not to have the stability of a hard plate, even with a single AL80.

The crotchstrap is terrific. I got the "soft" one from Halcyon, which was hard to justify the cost... But I can tell you that it was worth every dime. I could not tell it was on today, other than the fact that my whole rig stayed exactly where it was supposed to be.

The regs I chose are perfect for the local murky waters. Simple in design and rugged in quality, these are going to suit my needs great!

Having my gauges on my wrists simultaneously gets them out of the way and makes them more usable and user-friendly. I can't imagine why everyone wouldn't want these.

The knowlege that I had a spool and lift bag on me at all times was very encouraging... I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to bring up an anchor or something and not been able to. But the best thing about this setup is that the lift bag and spool were totally integrated into the system, and not only nonobtrusive, but making for more comfort in the backplate. Highly recommended!

But the skills... The knowlege of DIR... That has literally been priceless. Nobody else teaches these things... If you're considering DIR-F, take it. I can't begin to express how it will affect your dive style.

I don't think I've ever become so "Zen" with the water like this before. I'm amazed at how much fun it was. People joke about DIR being a religion... Well, I can see how it could be seen that way. The dive was really that unbelievable.

Now... About these Quattros that I've selected...

Let's just say they felt soft and flimsy... Not at all what I beleive would go with the rest of this rig...

Wowiee. :D

SeaJay once bubbled...

But the skills... The knowlege of DIR... That has literally been priceless. Nobody else teaches these things...

Bet Me!

AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for sharing SeaJay.

I must admit however, you've made me evern MORE anxious to hit the water with my new rig. Dang you, I've got until next weekend before I can go.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Why would anyone not want this rig? I can't imagine a circumstance where it wouldn't be the best system available.

So very true. :thumb:

:whoa:....I don't want to know how much all of that cost.

Cost a little over $2k. I may be including some things that aren't on that list... I'm just remembering the price of all of my recent purchases.

'Course, none of this gear was any more expensive than any other "full rig" that I could have chosen. In fact, if I'd included the price of a stab jacket or other "standard" gear, it would have been a little more.

Oh yeah... I already had the mask, wetsuit, and fins... I was just listing my full rig so that I could express what I was in love with. :D

Ok.....now dont hold back....do you really like it.??

couldnt resist!

I nearly started this same thread again this weekend... When I remembered that I already told y'all how much I love my new gear.

Let me tell you something... I've gotten a little used to my bp/wing, and I've got the thing dialed in perfectly. I temporarily have two three pound weights threaded onto the harness (for salt water), but that will be replaced by a six pound STA from Scott Koplin here within a week.

This whole thing is so damn "nailed" I can't even stand it. I have all that I need, and none of what I don't need in this rig. The thing's solid as a chunk of steel. It fits great, never misbehaves, and I have a big honkin' pocket to put stuff in. Of course, that's out of the way, and very much in the slipstream, so it causes no additional drag. My leg-mounted BFK has been permenantly doffed and replaced by this mini DIR thing that sits on my hip. It's always ready and available. The rig even dries quickly, in a matter of hours rather than days. It makes the whole thing soooo much more comfortable!

I've always got a lift bag and a spool, too, for lifting things, signalling to the boat, connecting to the anchor at the end of the dive (the captain loves me for this), or whatever. The spool can be used for penetration, too... Up to 100', which pretty much covers most wrecks.

I even have two Scout lights... I use one as a primary, and the other as a backup.

Of course, none of this stuff is apparent that I have it with me. The whole rig simply disappears when I'm wearing it... But when I need something, it's there. No muss, no fuss.

The whole system's just plain awesome.

Of course, that's not even addressing the rig's best attributes... It's sense of stability and perfect buoyancy control... It's like buttah, bayyybeeeee! :D

Man, I can't believe I even considered anything else.

Every second of time spent adjusting and assembling this rig was worth it...

Back
Top Bottom