holy hammerheads batman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
my first hammerhead underwater..
and not only did i see one.. i saw three cruising in formation and at least a couple more on the prowl.

fish&beer "chased" a school of six down with his nize underwater video rig.. hopefully he can post some stills.

we were with "capt" jimbo at the sea-mount just outside pearl-harbor. jimbo anchored us just above the remnants of an old sailboat wreck (a partial hull and keel). as jimbo led down the anchor line, i looked to my left and saw three large sharks cruising the opposite direction, the biggest was at least 10-feet and wide as a car. when they got closer i saw the distinct hammerhead shapes.. (at that instant, fight-or-flight was trying to kick in, "should i run back to the boat?" but i fought the urge, just relaxed, and enjoyed the view.. they were magnificent, looked like silver formula-ones with their wing shaped heads. i did stay a bit lower in the reef the remainder of the dive, hoping to do some terrain masking.. (heh, like that would help)

Ya Vblue, I think it was the first time I ever saw you hug a rock! Hopefully fish&beer
will make some DVD's for us. It is a little unnerving when you get your head out of a puka and your dive buddy is trying to bury himself in the sand! all kidding aside, it was awesome and also my first sighting of hammerheads at SeaMount. Can't wait to do it again.
Hopefully the seastate will settle and we can do the wrecks Sat. or Sun.

Very cool! Please post pictures . . .

Kidspot,
The Family is planning a Thanksgiving cruise of the Islands and I will be in Maui Fri. 24/Sat. 25 of Nov. Would like to dive the Molokini Crater, OR a good recommendation from you as what would be the place to dive on your rock. 0700 dock time on other side of island may not be good to dive that Fri. Open for suggestions...........

As soon as we get that DVD from fish&beer, I'm sure we will get some pics posted.

VBlueV:
my first hammerhead underwater..
and not only did i see one.. i saw three cruising in formation and at least a couple more on the prowl.

fish&beer "chased" a school of six down with his nize underwater video rig.. hopefully he can post some stills.

we were with "capt" jimbo at the sea-mount just outside pearl-harbor. jimbo anchored us just above the remnants of an old sailboat wreck (a partial hull and keel). as jimbo led down the anchor line, i looked to my left and saw three large sharks cruising the opposite direction, the biggest was at least 10-feet and wide as a car. when they got closer i saw the distinct hammerhead shapes.. (at that instant, fight-or-flight was trying to kick in, "should i run back to the boat?" but i fought the urge, just relaxed, and enjoyed the view.. they were magnificent, looked like silver formula-ones with their wing shaped heads. i did stay a bit lower in the reef the remainder of the dive, hoping to do some terrain masking.. (heh, like that would help)

Congrats. That is the same place I saw my first Scalloped HH. Diving with Sea Lancers back in December a buddy and I went down the anchor line and the first thing we saw upon reaching the bottom was a 7-8 footer scoping us out. Got a decent couple of pics. I was just so amazed at the beauty of it I almost forgot to take pics all together. Truly a magnificent shark. Congrats again. That is a great place to see them because they mate in and around Pearl Harbor.

yea, that spot is SHARK----Y. Kirsten saw those hammerheads and several Galapagos all in one dive recently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom