Hollis Wing Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! Would you mind linking to your recommended harness?

Here are several. All are basic plan old Hogarthian harness kits.

DGX Gears Harness, with Crotch Strap

More Options! & Now Black Hardware! Hogarthian Harness (Dir) for Backplates

Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq Hogarthian Harness - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Hogarthian Harness - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Basically and by definition a Hog harness is one piece of continuous webbing with one (metal) waist buckle, three D rings, one at each shoulder and one on the left hip with potentially two more, one on the front of the crotch strap for scootering and one on the back of the crotch strap for whatever. Pads (and other such fluffery) are frowned upon but I usually use the neoprene shoulder pads because I often dive sans rubber and I like the padding there.

Fluffery you ask for a definition, the harness system you bought is fluffery personified. All it needs is a cummerbund and it would be fluffery perfection. It has enough D-rings to hang a dive shop on and then there are the plastic snap locks all over and pads and swivels. How did something simple turn into all of that, not really a question.

James

@MaxE beat me to it. Run the waistbelt on the under (you) side of the plate.

Alternatively, you could the cut the waist belt into 2 sections and secure it to the plate with a triglide (tribar) on each side. I do this with my waist harness to allow me to move it easily between my single-tank freedom plate and a standard plate for doubles.
View attachment 680257
View attachment 680258

Dive Rite's newer Trans Plate harnesses use a triglide sewn onto a loop at the end to anchor the waistbelt ends to the plate in a similar fashion, but not removable without disassembling everything on the waistbelt.
I might have missed it, but how are the shoulder straps secured to the plate/waist band?

If it's a SS BP why not use a STA? That is what I had to do to on my OMS and DiveRite since I use the "deluxe" harness. For me I have a severe back injury and need the shoulder quick release buckles

I might have missed it, but how are the shoulder straps secured to the plate/waist band?
I'm using a modified combination of older DiveRite Transpac/Transplate components which are "H" style harnesses with the shoulder straps attached to the waist belt with a "T" type plate.

This shows the shoulder/waist attachment in a rear view with the soft (Trans)plate.
TransPacXT_2021_02_R1-768x768.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. Was it hard to find the slanted T attachment.

Thanks for the explanation. Was it hard to find the slanted T attachment.
If you are putting it on a "generic" plate (hard/soft/whatever) just get the "TransPlate" harness. It comes with the full kit including the "T"s already attached to the shoulder straps with the QC buckles.

This is the new model below, but you can find older generation versions still in stock for less
Dive Rite TransPlate Harness Only (2021 Model)
dr-t3550_2a.jpg

You can find older generation versions still in stock for less
Dive Rite Transplate Harness
dive-rite-transplate-harness-large.jpg

Assembly video:

ETA:
If you are going to build it yourself, here is one option:
Sidemount T Slider w/ Teeth , Piranha Dive Shop |
Brand-New-Sidemount-T-Slider-w-Teeth15482-12641_th.JPG

There are others around.

Weave belt through lower tank band slots on inside (channel on inside of plate). Then weave tank strap through lower slots on back side of plate like normal.

The two straps will overlap, back to back, through same slots. :thumb:

I’d suggest looking at a STA as well. That gives you a lot more flexibility and should solve your problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom