Hollis S38 wing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all. I was rinsing my wing this morning after yesterdays dives. When I submerged it in a rinse tank I saw bubbles coming from the area where the inflator hose elbow attaches to the wing. Could this be as simple as the wrong size o-ring in the connection point or should I put some kind of thread sealer on the threads?

Thanks,
Dave

OBTW: I hooked up with a buddy yesterday and properly adjusted my wing harness and then did two dives. WoooHooo!!! I love this wing!!!
Thanks Hollis for a great product!!!

You shouldn't need to put sealant on the threads for it to seal. I'd be inclined to unscrew it and have a look, I'd be surprised if it had a wrong size O ring, as its more of a rubber washer than an O ring. Did you try to tighten it a little? Don't crank on it as the threads are plastic and will strip. My friend recently bought a Hollis S25 wing and the elbow attachment was loose out of the box.

I was tightening it when I first got it and all it does is slip the ring off the threads. As for the o-ring....sorry wrong word, you are correct it is a round rubber washer. The inside of the seat has flat edges on the perimeter and that is why I was wondering if maybe I had the wrong washer. I put water inside the bladder today to rinse out any salt residue, when I tipped the wing upside down to drain the water it came out around the ring and elbow as well as draining through the inflator hose. Being as this is my first wing I am not sure if this normal or not.

No water or air should be leaking out of the elbow. It's quite easy to cross thread I'd try unscrewing it and screwing it back ensuring it is threading properly also have a close look at the threads and make sure they are not damaged. When I played with my friend S25 it took a couple of tries before I got it seated properly the threads are very soft.

It certainly could be a bad seal as mentioned, however could it be possible that the water you saw pouring out was not from inside the bladder, but from between the bladder and the outer shell?

I was tightening it when I first got it and all it does is slip the ring off the threads. As for the o-ring....sorry wrong word, you are correct it is a round rubber washer. The inside of the seat has flat edges on the perimeter and that is why I was wondering if maybe I had the wrong washer. I put water inside the bladder today to rinse out any salt residue, when I tipped the wing upside down to drain the water it came out around the ring and elbow as well as draining through the inflator hose. Being as this is my first wing I am not sure if this normal or not.

This part concerns me. I would take a hard look at the threads on the elbow and the wing. If you are saying you can't get it to tighten then it sounds like it's stripped.

As stated it shouldn't leak any water but it will appear to "leak" through the outer shell as it isn't waterproof. It will also "leak" any trapped air though the outer shell. to check for a leak I'd fill it with air to capacity and let it sit for a few minutes and see if it softens. Just listening closely to the elbow should tell you as well (after filling it all the way up first)

OBTW: I hooked up with a buddy yesterday and properly adjusted my wing harness and then did two dives. WoooHooo!!! I love this wing!!!
Thanks Hollis for a great product!!!

I'm glad to hear you got everything adjusted on the plate, and I take it the Inflator hose now fits where it should?

As for the leak, you might want to check around the fitting on the bladder itself. If you did any pulling on the inflator hose when it wasnt coming over your sholder you might have torn the bladder around where the inflator elbow attaches.

First....I would like to thank you for all your responses. I really appreciate you guys giving suggestions and advice on what to look at. Pretty much any time I ask a question I get good answers. Thanks for all your help.

No water or air should be leaking out of the elbow. It's quite easy to cross thread I'd try unscrewing it and screwing it back ensuring it is threading properly also have a close look at the threads and make sure they are not damaged. When I played with my friend S25 it took a couple of tries before I got it seated properly the threads are very soft.

I just inspected the threads where the elbow connects to the bladder and the threads on the connector ring and bladder both look good. I am not seeing any threads that are damaged. I also "carefully" tightened the connector ring back onto the bladder and it seated nicely. When I was rinsing my wing yesterday I pulled the elbow and filled my wing with water to give it a good flush. When I turned it upside down (after re-attaching the elbow) to flush the power inflator I saw water coming out between the elbow and connector ring. Next time I flush it I will pay closer attention to seating the ring properly and see if any water leaks out at the elbow.

It certainly could be a bad seal as mentioned, however could it be possible that the water you saw pouring out was not from inside the bladder, but from between the bladder and the outer shell?

The water was coming out from between the elbow and connector ring. As I said above, I am thinking I did not have the connector ring seated properly. It tightened up nicely and did not slip off the bladder when I got it to be snug. One thing dad taught me was to not tighten things too tight.

This part concerns me. I would take a hard look at the threads on the elbow and the wing. If you are saying you can't get it to tighten then it sounds like it's stripped.

As stated it shouldn't leak any water but it will appear to "leak" through the outer shell as it isn't waterproof. It will also "leak" any trapped air though the outer shell. to check for a leak I'd fill it with air to capacity and let it sit for a few minutes and see if it softens. Just listening closely to the elbow should tell you as well (after filling it all the way up first)

I just pumped up my wing and I will see if it softens. I did see the air bubbles leaking out of the bladder yesterday and I was at first wondering if I had a leak but then realized that it was probably just trapped air. I had to laugh at myself for thinking it was leaking.

15 minutes later...I pumped up my wing and looked at it a few minutes later. It was definitely softer than when I first put air in it. I double checked where the elbow connects to the bladder and I think the issue is that I did not have the elbow lined up correctly. I put my ear down around the elbow and I definitely could hear it leaking. I pulled the elbow back off and took another look at it. I am thinking that I did not line up the flat sides of the elbow where it joins with the bladder and it was allowing air to leak out. I re-seated the elbow again and it seems to be holding air. I sprayed it with water and I saw zero bubbles.

I'm glad to hear you got everything adjusted on the plate, and I take it the Inflator hose now fits where it should?

As for the leak, you might want to check around the fitting on the bladder itself. If you did any pulling on the inflator hose when it wasn't coming over your shoulder you might have torn the bladder around where the inflator elbow attaches.

I also checked the bladder for tears and it is good there also. This thing is pretty tough, I am glad I went this route. I will say that I think I would like to extend my inflator hose a couple of inches. Right now it is sitting just about the middle of my pectoral muscle and I would like to have it a bit lower.

Thanks again everyone...your help is very much appreciated!!!
:D

Sounds like you're in business. Good to hear there's no damage.

I also checked the bladder for tears and it is good there also. This thing is pretty tough, I am glad I went this route. I will say that I think I would like to extend my inflator hose a couple of inches. Right now it is sitting just about the middle of my pectoral muscle and I would like to have it a bit lower.

Thanks again everyone...your help is very much appreciated!!!
04.gif

Wing inflators are usually shorter than standard BC's but it results in easier air release via the inflator and less change of dragging the inflator on the bottom
Give it a chance - middle of your chest is a good location. That's where mine sits (Hollis S25) - just below my shoulder D-ring.

Back
Top Bottom