Hollis F2 or Scubapro Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am taking a buoyancy and control class and the basic Aqua Lung fins I purchased for my OW just are too flimsy and seem to require more effort on my part. They also hurt my feet a little. One of the assistants let me try his Scuba pro Jet fins and the difference was amazing.

I am currently OW certified, probably won't go beyond Advanced. I do local diving in the summer here in CT and RI, I will also travel to Florida, Caribbean and Hawaii for some dives. I know the jets are heavy and was wondering if the Hollis F2's might be a nice compromise, I'm having difficulty finding out how much the F2's weigh.

I do wet diving, not dry. I wear Deep Sea size 6 (men's I think), 6.5 mm boots. So I'm thinking size medium would work.

Any advice would help. Thanks!

-Faith

I wear Small F2s and they weigh around 1.3 kgs the pair. I also own Jets and both F2s are almost the same weight as one Jet.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 12:51 PM ----------

M in Jets will likely be too small. Ms are tiny. I'm a size 6.5 US and in 5mm wet boots I wear a large. I wear a Small in F2s.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2013 at 01:01 PM ----------

I wear the F2s when tropical travel diving, and Jets in thick wet suit local diving. I also own some Seawing Gorillas which I like a lot, about the same weight as the F2s, possibly lighter, more power than the F2s and more speed, Im a small guy, and easier on the legs than the Jets.

two totally different fins for different purposes... which is better a Suburban or a Smart Car?

The F2s are a good compromise given your travel and level of diving... they have a mass of about 800 grams or about a little less than ONE jet fin

If you do tropical diving, Jet fins may be too heavy. Also jet size runs small. I have Men's size 8.5 feet, barely (uncomfortably) fit in Jet Large. I have to use XL Jet. So medium must be for kids.

If you like Jet fin type but want less weight, take a look at OMS slipstream. But the key question here is do you need heavier fins? When you say "One of the assistants let me try his Scuba pro Jet fins and the difference was amazing", do you know where the difference is coming from? Is it the stiffness? the weight?

I think the fact that the fins were negative helped to level me out. Plus the propulsion I got from the frog kick in those was more efficient and powerful. My aqua lungs just fold over on themselves. I was watching the assistant front kick with my fins and that's what they were doing.

One of the assistants let me try his Scuba pro Jet fins and the difference was amazing.
What size Scubapro Jet Fin did you use?
I do wet diving, not dry. I wear Deep Sea size 6 (men's I think), 6.5 mm boots. So I'm thinking size medium would work.

Any advice would help. Thanks!
Yes, I believe a med. would be the ticket. How did the ones you tried fit?

The Scubapro Jet Fin has a proven vent design and almost 50 years of success.

I have another buoyancy and control class on Tuesday, I'm going to double check the size I tried before ordering.

But, I'm still wondering if I can get the same effect with a lighter weight fin such as the F2. The stiffness of the Jet is desired, the weight helped in the water too, but I just don't know about traveling with them. I should note that I will be wearing my 5mm wetsuit in all of the locations I've mentioned.

Hi,

if you like the Jetfin, but think they are too heavy, take a look at the OMS Slipstream - almost identical but much lighter. The Scubapro Jetfin varies in size - not too long ago they have changed some insignificant details and you can't really be sure, which version you get. You should try them on with your boot, but my tip (have 3 pairs of Jetfins for different boots) would be: get 1 size smaller than from other manufacturers.

Be aware the Jetfin will really pull your feet down. They are perfect with drysuits, with wetsuits I prefer the Slipstream. The design is from 1965, but they really nailed it back then...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom