Hollis Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So since you know the answer to the question, why did you ask it?...

Because I don’t know if the electronics can be disabled in this unit and still have it function by adding gas to the loop. I also indicated in my question that warranty issues were excluded. Is gas added to the loop mechanically, electronically, or both? What is the failure mode of the electronics?

If there is pressure-activated mechanical gas addition valve and the electronics were removed or disabled (battery removal???), then what would prevent it from functioning as a pure O2 rebreather assuming appropriate O2 cleaning were preformed?

In an ideal world, there would be a pure O2 mode that would disable the oxygen sensor and control systems, but maintain the CO2 alarm. Even better would be a pressure control valve that would activate at 25' and add gas to the BCD. I suppose that that same valve could have two settings for 25 and 130' since that is the stated depth limit.

The battery is rechargeable and bonded into the electronics so I don't think it can be easily removed. The electronics are wet contact activated so it will go into "survival mode" even if you don't do a proper predive which means gas will be injected automatically. There is a demand gas valve on it so I suppose if you were able to disable the electronics (which I honestly don't know how) you could use the demand ADV and run it in O2 mode. It still has the essential counterlungs, scrubber, breathing loop required of all rebreathers but I don't know if you could take the electronics out of the equation.

Because I don’t know if the electronics can be disabled in this unit and still have it function by adding gas to the loop. I also indicated in my question that warranty issues were excluded. Is gas added to the loop mechanically, electronically, or both? What is the failure mode of the electronics?

If there is pressure-activated mechanical gas addition valve and the electronics were removed or disabled (battery removal???), then what would prevent it from functioning as a pure O2 rebreather assuming appropriate O2 cleaning were preformed?

In an ideal world, there would be a pure O2 mode that would disable the oxygen sensor and control systems, but maintain the CO2 alarm. Even better would be a pressure control valve that would activate at 25' and add gas to the BCD. I suppose that that same valve could have two settings for 25 and 130' since that is the stated depth limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom