holding nose while scuba diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I was just looking for a little advice, because I really want to learn to scuba, but I don't know if I can. Ever since I was little, I have been unable to hold my breath without pinching my nose. I was even on a swim team for a little while, but had to quit because I just couldn't hold my breath. My mom has always used a nose clip as well, so maybe it's something to do with the way my nose is shaped inside.

Anyway, I love snorkeling and holding my breath to dive deeper, but even while snorkeling I have to hold my nose shut. I've tried the little tricks and methods they tell you to learn how to not breathe thru your nose, but I can only barely hold my breath and then the air starts to leak out of my nose.

I love the ocean and would love to learn to scuba, but I don't know if it's possible with my nose. Can I wear a nose clip under the mask and just learn to swim with water in my mask if it happens? Is there anykind of breathing mouthpiece that fits over the nose as well??? If I can't learn scuba, I might have to try free diving instead. Please let me know what suggestions you have. Thanks and have a great day!

Angela

Assuming this is a serious inquiry, this shouldn't be a problem since (1) you don't want to hold your breath while scuba diving, and (2) you will be wearing a mask that covers your nose and effectively prevents you from breathing out of it. If you're worried about it, get yourself a scuba mask and snorkel and try it out - the feeling won't be much different on scuba.

even better, go to your local dive store and ask for a discover scuba pool dive experience. This is a great way to find out if scuba is for you.

Hi again,

Even with a snorkel mask that covers the nose, I breathe out and then water gets in the mask. i have tried everything possible to try to not breath out thru my nose, but whether I'm holding my breath or breathing thru a snorkel, air still comes out of my nose. I just didn't know if I could get around it by using a nose clip all the time or if they won't certify me if I have to use a nose clip. Thanks for the help!

Angela

If you wear a nose clip, you will have several problems diving. For starters, one of the basic skills you need to demonstrate is to clear water from a flooded mask by exhaling through your nose. You won't be able to do that with clips on. On the other hand, if you learn how to do that without a clip, then water leaking into your mask won't be a big problem... you'll be able to just blow it out again. I think a good instructor (and practice) will be able to help you minimize (or even stop) nose breathing though... it's not that uncommon for beginning divers to have trouble with it.

In answer to your basic question though... no, you won't be able to get certified to dive with a nose clip.

angelita80:
Hi again,

Even with a snorkel mask that covers the nose, I breathe out and then water gets in the mask. i have tried everything possible to try to not breath out thru my nose, but whether I'm holding my breath or breathing thru a snorkel, air still comes out of my nose. I just didn't know if I could get around it by using a nose clip all the time or if they won't certify me if I have to use a nose clip. Thanks for the help!

Angela

Breathing theu your nose is how you clear your mask. This you will learn in your basic scuba course, and need to do underwater in order to pass.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want, watch the OW video or read the book and practice this skill in the shallow end of your local swimming hole.

angelita80:
Hi again,

Angela

In that case, I suggest practicing with a snorkel until you get the whole not blowing air out your nose thing down. You should be able to get the hang of it - it takes a fair amount of effort to make bubbles come out of the mask.

angelita80:
Hi Everyone!

I was just looking for a little advice, because I really want to learn to scuba, but I don't know if I can. Ever since I was little, I have been unable to hold my breath without pinching my nose. I was even on a swim team for a little while, but had to quit because I just couldn't hold my breath. My mom has always used a nose clip as well, so maybe it's something to do with the way my nose is shaped inside.

Anyway, I love snorkeling and holding my breath to dive deeper, but even while snorkeling I have to hold my nose shut. I've tried the little tricks and methods they tell you to learn how to not breathe thru your nose, but I can only barely hold my breath and then the air starts to leak out of my nose.

I love the ocean and would love to learn to scuba, but I don't know if it's possible with my nose. Can I wear a nose clip under the mask and just learn to swim with water in my mask if it happens? Is there anykind of breathing mouthpiece that fits over the nose as well??? If I can't learn scuba, I might have to try free diving instead. Please let me know what suggestions you have. Thanks and have a great day!

Angela

From the sounds of it you're pretty worried about it but rest assured you are not the only one. What you're describing is one of the most common anxieties people have about diving. Unless you have a medical issue you *will* be able to learn the skill but it will probably take some time and a patient instructor. In any event you have to drop the idea of the nose clip.

R..

Like everyone has said, holding your breath is a no-no. However, I think I can relate to your problem.

I have never had a problem holding my breath, but every once in a while, on my first few dives, I would breath through my mouth and nose at the same time. When you do this you suck your mask against your face on inhale, then blow air out on exhale.

Fortunately, my body just seemed to stop doing that.

Also, when removing my mask underwater, I felt like I couldn't keep from getting water up my nose.

As mentioned, a 'discover SCUBA' session might be a good start. Pick a good instructor, explain the problem, and he should be able to help you through it.

As everyone else has stated, the last thing you wnat to do while scuba diving is hold your breath so that in itself is not a problem at all. You can also breathe out through your nose and a mask that fits you properly should not leak just because you breath out through your nose, I do it rather frequently and my mask does not leak because of it. if you mask leaks you need a better fitting mask. However, I sense that you are worried more about inhaling through your nose than you are about exhaling through your nose (maybe I am wrong, if so you have nothing to worry about). This is an issue that I had a huge fear about even until recently despite learning to breathe without my mask on, I still just had the little voice in my head telling me that I was going to breathe through my nose when I would get water up my nose, etc. This is not an uncommon fear by any means and it does take some time for most people to feel comfortable with it but believe me you can do it, you may need to work on it some and a good instructor will certainly help. I agree, try the Discover Scuba class and see how you like it, easy and simple way to get an introduction.

Back
Top Bottom